Simplefit.org • View topic - How Much Is Too Much?

How Much Is Too Much?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

How Much Is Too Much?

Postby Wil » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:31 am

I wanted to combine both a simple fit workout and a free weight workout, along with another form of activity, however I am worried it might be too much for my fitness level. While I am not unhealthy, I am no Olympic athlete either.

My plan is fairly simple, and I hope to receive some input from others. In the afternoon, after a night of fasting and going to school without eating (which I typically do, and have done for a year now), I wish to do some form of simple fit exercise. I am partial to the playing deck style of workout where you select a card randomly and depending on the suite and number, you do that. For that I would do probably pullups, dips, pushups, and pistols. After that, and after a short break, I would then proceed to do some form of free weight/additional exercises workout. Mainly just some dumbell swings, side lat raises, some calf raises, and a few other things like that.

I'd alternate days, but between days I would do a form of activity, such as HIIT running or, preferably, a day of activity like hiking or snowboarding etc.

Mondays Wednesdays Fridays
Couple sets of burpees/jump rope/warmup movement
5 minute dynamic stretching and balancing
20 minute card-deck workout, 1 minute per card, rest remaining time
5 minutes rest
20 minute free weight workout/additional exercises
10 minutes static stretching

Tuesdays Thursdays
HIIT Running:

5 Minute Walk

3-4 Sets of:
1 Minute Sprint
2 Minute Walk

5 Minute Walk

10 minutes static stretching

Saturdays
If no formal activity, such as hiking, then a 20 minute jog

Sundays
Rest

I am simply worried that this may result in over training. It seems like a lot, but then again it also doesn't seem like that much. Any ideas?
Wil

Postby scumdogg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Telling someone if they are going to overtrain on a given workout is very hard to do since everyone has a different capacity for the amount of work their body's can handle. I used to train with a guy who could lift heavy for 5 days straight and still make gains while I was burning out at that schedule and had to move back to only 3 days a week.

Your best course of action might be to start with a schedule that you reasonably think you can handle and then after a couple weeks to a month listen to what your body is telling you. Watch for signs of overtraining - constant fatigue and soreness, depression, poor athletic performance - just Google "symptoms of overtraining".

If you're starting to see these symptoms, start cutting back on what you're doing and give yourself more rest.

Also, don't forget the third part of the training triangle - diet. What you eat will have a big impact on your recovery as well.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
scumdogg

Return to fitness training