Simplefit.org • View topic - lower back

lower back

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

lower back

Postby Jolted » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi all

I've been having a spot of trouble with my lower back and was wondering if anybody in the site know any good excercises. Have played aroud with google, but wanted to ask here in case there was some firsthand knowledge.

Regards Jolted
Jolted

Re: lower back

Postby donaldduckfan » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:11 am

Hi,

I use three things for lower back health. First, this workout by Dr. Stuart McGill is a mainstay...I've been doing it for years and have had little if any problem with my low back since: http://www.acefitness.org/pdfs/LowBackStabilization.pdf His publication, Ultimate Back Fitness and Performance, is probably the "bible" when it comes to core strength and back health. I also swear by the stretches he recommends...much safer than the mainstay found on the web.

Also, if you can find the booklet, Robin McKenzie's Treat Your Own Back might/might not be something to use. I've had mixed results with it and don't recommend buying the book but finding the exercises on the web, if you can, so you don't waste your money if the program doesn't work.

Hope that helps.
donaldduckfan

Postby Jolted » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Hi Donaldduckfan (who isn't a fan :D )

Thanks! That's just the thing I was looking for. Will give this a try.

regards

Jolted
Jolted

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:18 pm

Go talk to a doctor the back is an extremely complex structure.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jolted » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:52 am

Hi Admin (I'm assuming Kevin)

Talking to a doctor about back pain is sound advice. I should have been clearer in my original post:

I am a (Junior) Doctor, though not specialized as yet. Currently doing an intensive medicine rotation. I have been checked by colleagues who have specialized in back problems and the treatment thereof. They told that I have no structural issues, but mainly a flabby gut and weak muscles ( I paraphrase). They could reccomend some gym excercises and that was about it. I wanted some "at home/bodyweight" excercises. I should have been clearer and I apologize. It was a stroke of luck that donaldduckfan had exactly what I needed.
Again thanks to DDfan for the link and to Admin(Kevin) for the site.

regards
Jolted
Jolted

Postby donaldduckfan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 am

The Duck is always glad to lend a hand!

donaldduckfan

Postby scumdogg » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:01 am

Second the advice for seeing the doctor. Also remember that a good portion of back stability comes from your core. So if your abs are very weak your lower back will have to do an excess amount of work stabalizing you when you bend over, lift things, etc. which could lead to soreness. A strong core will help.
scumdogg

Return to fitness training