Simplefit.org • View topic - D2/D3 intensity and a different approach

D2/D3 intensity and a different approach

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

D2/D3 intensity and a different approach

Postby fxdemolisher » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:45 am

First off the success part:

I've been doing simplefit on and off for more then a year now. And by on and off i don't mean a day here and a day there, I mean 3-4 months stretches. They always seem to end the same way though and i'll cover that later. I started on L1 in fall of 07 and was at 231 lb and haven't worked out a day in my life. couldn't do a pushup or a pullup. Now i am at L3, 195 lb, and can do a set of 10 pullups in one shot :)

Thanks SimpleFit

Now for the rant:

I find my week to be very disproportionate. D1 is very intense (L3 at 23 rounds or L2 at 30) but D2 and D3 fall of very quickly. Also, i do D1 on a Monday and will tend to skip if I am out too late the previous night (i exercise in the morning). This is what usually ends my runs on simplefit. I miss D1 and don't feel like doing D2/D3 is worth it since the intensity is almost 2/1 on D2 and 4/1 on D3.

I've tried some things of my design, including doing something similar to D2 but every day. That turned out to kill my muscles very quickly and turned counter-productive.

Right now i am thinking of doing something where i have elements of all three days of simplefit in a single daily workout that i do every other day (mon/wed/fri). My starting point is as follows (just completed it too and feeling pumped):

8 minutes of as many rounds of (equivalent of L2/D1):
1 pullup
3 pushups
4 squats

2.5 minute rest

3 rounds of (equivalent of L3/D2):
3 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats

2.5 minute rests after each round, 4 minute rest after last one.

The last step is to repeat up to X number of reps of each of the following, in a single shot with rests as needed, staying one rep under failure (equivalent to L1/D3):

10 pullups
20 pushups
20 squats

I just finished first try at this and its as intense as L3/D1 for me but not as tiring, and the different elements kept me from losing my wind. To progress i plan to increase the first part to 10 minutes and go for max reps in time. For second part to increase reps per round and number of rounds to 5, basically move up like the level progression for D2. Same goes for the third part, progress through the levels of D3.

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. Like i said this may not work for everyone, or even for me, i'm just trying to find a best fitting program for my body, my schedule, and my late sunday nights :)

Cheers.
fxdemolisher

Re: D2/D3 intensity and a different approach

Postby zorg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:45 am

My two cents:

fxdemolisher wrote:D1 is very intense (L3 at 23 rounds or L2 at 30) but D2 and D3 fall of very quickly.

I do not understand. If D3 seems easy, you should be able to level up, right? The next level should be appropriately harder. I found D2 and D3 easier, myself, when I was at lower levels (and I started at L1), but ime, that changes at a certain point. As D2 targets strength, you will get to a point where not your endurance, but your strength is the limiting factor. At this point, D2 will become tough.

That said, there's nothing wrong with adding exercises after a workout if you feel like it. Just do twenty minutes rope-jumping after your D2, for example :)

Also, i do D1 on a Monday and will tend to skip if I am out too late the previous night (i exercise in the morning). This is what usually ends my runs on simplefit.

You could adjust your schedule, maybe?
zorg

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 am

The intensity levels of D2 and D3 are dependent on the participant! If you are not working hard at D3, then you should be under 5 mins...
volleyball_man

Postby fxdemolisher » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:01 am

Sorry for the lack of clarity. My main issue is that there is a very large difference in intensity between D1 and D2/D3. My L3D3 is around 6 minutes on last attempt, not enough to up a level but i would probably get there in two or three weeks.

The problem is when i went from L2 to L3 and D1 totally wiped me out. I mean totally, I was only able to do 23 rounds and after those felt like i couldn't stand on my legs. I find that the first 10 minutes are fine but the next 10 are pure torture. This would be fine if D2/D3 felt even close, then i would just drop a level while i gained the strength and endurance to move back up again. The problem is that L3D2 i completed without even blinking, and L3D3 was 6 minutes instead of shorter because i didn't push too hard. With the intensity ramped up so high on D1 you can see why i don't look forward to my mondays :)

Again, this may just be a problem with me. Either my meals aren't right and my body is not ready for D1 on monday morning, or i need to do more cardio to get my wind up. Either way i find it easier to adjust the system then to adjust other factors. Come to think of it, I think thats what simplefit is all about, to find what works...
fxdemolisher

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:08 am

Check how you feel after 7 mins of D1.
volleyball_man

Postby l1natel1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:59 pm

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I think zorg pretty much covered it. SF is a full body workout that includes both strength conditioning (D2) and cardio/endurance training(D1). Each individual’s fitness is going to differ greatly, not only in the ability to do the three exercises at each level, but also in their strength vs. endurance.

If D1 is proving difficult for you then it goes to follow that this is the area that needs the most attention in your workouts. Avoiding this strain by balancing it out over the week sounds counterproductive to me. You are training your muscles in the same way every day and in doing so this makes it difficult to sufficiently push yourself enough in either area (strength or endurance) on any given day to realize much improvement. In my opinion it brings you to a quick peak and a long plateau (much like the modified D2 you tried).

My suggestion would be to add some cardio to the end of your week if D2/3 seems underwhelming. This should help make your workouts more substantial at the end of the week, decrease your recovery time in general, and help prepare you for your D1's.
l1natel1

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:10 am

I still maintain that you aren't pushing hard enough on D2 and D3. 23 rounds isn't so shabby on your first attempt at a new level.
volleyball_man

Return to fitness training