Simplefit.org • View topic - lat pull down

lat pull down

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

lat pull down

Postby bigjohn205 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:15 am

Hey guys just found the site and want to start the workout, but I have 2 problems. 1. I don't have anywhere to put a pull up bar 2. I can't do a pull up. What I do have is a set of bodylastics bands with 240lbs of resistance. How many lat pull downs would be equal to one pull up? I weigh 230lbs so what do you all think would be a good amount of resistance to use with the intentions of working up to pull ups? Thanks in advance. Cant wait to get started.
bigjohn205

Re: lat pull down

Postby Shepherd » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:17 am

I was in a similar situation when starting out. I couldn't do a single pull up. Heck, I couldn't even pull myself up an inch. So I substituted lat pull downs using elastic bands. I would hook the elastic bands at the top of my door, place an ottoman next to the door to give me leverage so I wouldn't be dragging myself along the floor instead of pulling the bands down. I would substitute 3 lat pull downs for each pull up I was supposed to do. So, if I was supposed to do 3 pull ups, I would do 9 lat pull downs. Eventually you will be strong enough to do pull ups. I can do about 12-14 non-kipping pull ups in a row now. Also you state that you don't have anywhere to put a pull up bar. Can't you just use a doorway pull up bar? That is what I use for indoors. I have a pull up tower that I am placing outside to do outdoor workouts from spring to fall when the weather is permitting.
Shepherd

Postby cheapo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:37 am

If you're going to affix rubber bands to anything with intention of pulling the bands towards yourself, MAKE SURE YOUR FASTENING POINT IS SECURE! I can't imagine the pain of 240lbs worth of elastic force snapping me in the face!
cheapo

Postby splint » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm

Shepherd's response is a good one (so is cheapos :shock: ) 3 pull-downs = 1 pullup. But keep in mind before I did simplefit, I could pulldown the entire weight stack but had to kick and struggle to do one pull-up. Pull-ups just involve so much more than pull-downs. I understand you're working your way up to pull-ups, make sure that's a goal, even if you have to find a park and just do hangs or negatives.
splint

Postby scumdogg » Fri May 13, 2011 9:51 am

I couldn't do a single pullup either when I started so did bodyrows instead. I looped a towel around a pole (a support joist in my back porch), placed my feet at the base of the pole and rowed. Every workout I would try to do a pullup and eventually I was able to. I'm not a big supporter of the pulldown movement (even though I used to do it religiously before pullups) since it's not a full-body movement and you miss out on all the benefits of rows like increasing your grip strength (very important if you're working up to full pullups) and working out all the peripheral muscles like abs, shoulders etc. So my suggestion is bodyrows as a sub and keep trying pullups every workout until you can do one.
scumdogg

Return to fitness training