Just have to be different

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Wilko

Just have to be different

Post by Wilko » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Hey guys, don't you hate it when some johnny come lately rolls into your forum and says, "Great program! I made a few tweaks though, instead of chin-ups I'm doing preacher curls and subbing in a thigh-master for squats."

Well, now its my turn :wink: "they" do say the best workout is the one you will keep doing.

I basically do day 2 with shortened rest periods (one minute or under) every second day. I find that for me it's the perfect combination of volume and intensity. At the end of it I'm starting to hit failure, gassing hard, feeling a bit nauseous and sweat pours out of me for the next fifteen minutes. No persistent joint or muscle soreness and I nearly always see progression with each session (more reps or less elapsed time), that's why I think I've hit my sweetspot for volume/intensity. Knowing I 'only' have to plough through five sets each time is a huge mental advantage even though the volume keeps going up.

At the moment that looks like five sets of 6 chin-ups, 20 push-ups and 30 squats, and I'm currently levelling up to 7 chin-ups, 25 push-ups and 40 squats. Just amazed at the improvement in work capacity, seeing some real changes in body comp now too.

So you can see it's not a total bastardisation, it's still Simplefit, mostly, lol.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Just have to be different

Post by Admin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:47 am

if it works thats great

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:58 am

So are you suggesting just shortening the rest time on Day 2 has made you see greater performance physically and helped you level up?

I am plateaued at level 4 taking only very small amounts of time off of Day 3 each week, if any. I find Day 1 very intense, but, day 2 not so bad. The additional quantity is tougher, but, I rest 2-3 (usually 3 ish) minutes as it says in the instructions. I dont really get out of breathe as such but do feel it on the next day.

I see what you might be saying the quantity of Day 2 is OK but shorten the rest to up the intensity to increase gains, yeah?

I will try this, this week and see how I get on.

Cheers,

Wilko

Post by Wilko » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:52 am

Ahhhh, whoops! I realise I wasn't very clear in my first post Neilfenstein. What I meant to say is that I only do the modified Day 2 workout, nothing else. I have heard others on the forum suggest that shortening rest periods on Day 2 helps them level up but I cant speak to that, I just do it because it fits me physically and psychologically. I love this workout.

Slacke

Post by Slacke » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:02 am

Well if it works thats great ofcourse. =)

Sounds a bit like your tweaking it more towards a day 1 schedule though with spaced out pauses going more for endurance.
Personaly I almost feel like day 2 is a bit of a rest day so I understand why you might want to beef it up a bit,
but I think there is a point to be said about having the variation that there is between the different days to mix things up