Simplefit.org • View topic - On Pullups

On Pullups

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

On Pullups

Postby iamme » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:15 pm

I see a lot of folks doing assisted pullups. I am on my second day of the program and have so far done only 'real' pullups. This affects my scores because pullups are the hardest for me. For example I was able to do 16 sets on L1D1 but had to rest a little more in between sets to get ready for the pullups. My question is, what is the correct approach? Should I go with assisted or negative pullups until my pullup strength approaches that of my pushup and squal or keep on going with the 'real' pullups?
iamme

Re: On Pullups

Postby Neilfenstein » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:19 pm

If you can do 'real pull ups' go ahead and dont worry about lower round/times you will get better!! Log it to keep a record, I can see at least tiny progress in my log every week.

I am quite passionate about this point and I know what you mean. I was the same at the beggining and in some respects now still, but its not about the level you are on. I was round my bro's house with some friends and they go to the gym frequently and for years and supposedly advanced but their pull up form was BAD! Taking the time to level up when it was right for me has meant that my form and ability is far better for it.

I strictly did not level up until I could do L1 D3 all real pull ups and under 5 minutes (harsh reality is that those are the rules for this program). Like you say this was hard and I struggled for several months trying to get my first pull up then doing more etc etc. I am so glad I did not fool myself or my progression with levelling up with substitutions.

If you can't do pullups then try as hard as you can to do as many rounds as you can on day 1 and you will get better!

I advocate staying at level one to all those who cant do a pull up yet. The joy, feeling of success and progression when you get to level 2 is excellent!
Neilfenstein

Postby iamme » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Thanks for the reply Neilfenstein. I was thinking about staying on level 1 until I beat level 3 with real pullups.
iamme

Postby Neilfenstein » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:41 am

No Problems!! I read you post as discussion/opinion more that advice seeking. So, read my previous post as my opinion after reading a lot of the forum over the year I have been doing this.

You may always find different. But, I think it is always important to remember what ever you do is better than nothing, do your best and you'll be golden.

Good luck!!
Neilfenstein

Postby Slacke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:09 pm

I do agree that the whole point is your physical progress rather than progression in levels, the levels are just there as a guide line, so no real point in advancing early.
And I think for most people that come here the pull ups will be the part thats holding you back.
That said I found level one to be a bit unbalanced in the pullup department, atleast/especially for day one, whereas when you step up to level two its still basicaly the same
amount of pullups but a larger amount of pushups and squats which made it feel alot more balanced to me.
Slacke

Postby splint » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 pm

The best way to increase your ability to do real pull-ups is to do real pull-ups. Back before I tried simplefit and dedicated myself to a goals of improving my pullups, I was able to lift the entire lat-pulldown rack but struggled and kicked to do a single pull-up. They're just different muscles involved, including keeping a tight core.

If you can do 16 real pull-ups on L1D1, I'd say that's a great start. Obviously just my opinion but I don't think you'd see any great benefit from doing anything else.
splint

Return to fitness training