Simplefit.org • View topic - Headache during Judgement Day

Headache during Judgement Day

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Headache during Judgement Day

Postby Shepherd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:48 am

I am hoping someone can shed some light on the problem I am currently having.

Back story: After attending a wedding last summer and seeing the wedding pictures, I finally noticed just how fat and out of shape I had gotten. I hadn't seen a picture of myself in some time and even though I knew I was terribly out of shape I didn't realize the extent until I saw a picture of myself. So I decided I needed to get back in shape. I was going to follow the typical conventional 'good diet' that I had been taught most of my life. However, I stumbled across Mark Sisson's The Primal Blueprint and decided to give it a read. It made sense to me so I decided to follow a primal/paleo diet instead of a typical high carb low fat diet. I started visiting Mark's website, Mark's Daily Apple, where I stumbled across a post by Cheapo. I had originally planned on joining a gym, but after seeing the results Cheapo got from the Simplefit routine I decided to give it a try. At first I couldn't even manage a pull-up. I mean I couldn't even pull myself up an inch. So, I started level one substituting lat pull downs using resistance bands for pull ups. Went through the Simplefit routine up to level 4 and then started again at level one after I was able to do a pull up. I am now up to level 5 and really enjoying the routine. I really look forward to my workouts. I am quite happy with the results so far, but have recently run into a problem.

The problem: During the last three weeks, whenever I am doing the Judgement Day workout, I get really bad headaches. This only happens on Judgement Day when I am going all out to get the entire set done in under five minutes. And it has only been the last few weeks after reaching level 5. Now I am wary of Judgement Day when I really used to look forward to the challenge of this day. Has anybody else experienced this or have any idea what is happening? The headaches usually occur during the push-ups phase. I make it through the pull-up section without the headaches. Could it be carb intake related? I typically get 50 grams or less of carbs in a day. Or could it be water related? Since its been cold out I've noticed that I have been drinking less water and more coffee, but think I am still getting an adequate amount of water. Probably drinking about 60+ onces a day and usually 2-3 large cups of coffee (no sugar). Any advice would be appreciated.
Shepherd

Re: Headache during Judgement Day

Postby Shepherd » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:42 am

After a little Google search, I found an article that says to avoid caffeine before strenuous activity such as working out. I'm going to avoid coffee on work out days to see if that fixes the problem.
Shepherd

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:26 am

Go talk to your doctor before doing that workout again.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby The Big L » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:20 am

Just a shot in the dark: you may not be breathing properly (or much at all) during your pushups. I know it sounds wacky, but sometimes I catch myself forgetting to breathe when I'm really straining during exercise. Another possibility is that you're contracting the back of your neck as you're straining to do your reps. It's very easy to tweak the muscles and tendons back there if you're inadvertently applying extra tension while doing a pullup or pushup. I can almost guarantee myself a brief, but acute headache if I try to stretch my neck up in an ill-advised attempt to get my chin over the bar, rather than letting my arms and back do the work.

So...remember to breathe enough, and try to keep your head and neck relaxed even when the going gets tough.
The Big L

Return to fitness training