Simplefit newcomer

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

rustymuffin

Simplefit newcomer

Post by rustymuffin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi there,

I've just come across Simplefit and was wondering if you'd be so kind as to answer a few questions.

I'm male, 20 years old and am about 5'9". Back in July 2010 I had an operation and for some unknown reason didn't eat all that much afterwards, causing me to lose ~18kg (from 86kg) over a few months with very little exercise. This leaves me at my current weight of 68kg. I'm extremely happy with the weight loss and feel much better about the way I look nowadays (at least compared to how I used to!) however I have a few issues with my body composition. My current measurements are as follows:

Chest: 35"
Waist: 30"
Bicep: 12"
Forearm: 10.5"
Thigh: 21"
Calf: 15"
Neck: 14"

As you can see, I have disproportionately large thighs and calves. When tensed, I can grab very little in the way of fat on my calves but they seem to have a fair bit of wobble when not tensed. My thighs are in a similar boat but I can grab more in the way of loose tissue when they are tensed. The other thing I have a problem with is my 'belly'. Despite not having a large waist I have a large amount of loose, fatty tissue that really bugs me.

And so I was wondering whether any of you could give me some advice specifically on how to counter these issues? I do want to gain fitness in general but solving the above are my two main goals. I was wondering if it may be better to cut out squats in my Simplefit routine and introduce crunches instead? And what else I should be doing beside Simplefit with regards to exercise?

I appreciate nutrition has a large part to play in this. My diet in the past (since my operation) has not been the best ( e.g. 1000-1500 calories per day of mainly carbs) but I have recently taken a more healthy approach of trying to cut down on my carbs and eat proteins instead (e.g. chicken breasts or tuna with assorted vegetables and maybe a small amount of carbs as a side).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Apologies for the essay, I really didn't intend to make such a long post :oops:

scumdogg

Re: Simplefit newcomer

Post by scumdogg » Fri May 13, 2011 9:41 am

Unflexed muscle will always "wobble" when it's not under tension since it's just relaxed tissue, so it's not something that should concern you. The difference between fat that wobbles and muscle is that with muscle you will not notice it "wobbling" in regular every day movement. When you are moving and using muscle it tenses and flexes and looks tight and powerful while fat just wobbles all the time. My calves are quite muscular and if I just prop up my leg and tap the muscle it wobbles as well, but when I stand or walk, it does not.

I wouldn't worry about muscular calves and thighs "wobbling", if they really are muscular, instead concentrate on bringing the rest of your body into balance. So follow the simplefit program and do the required number of reps, and pay special attention to the pushups and pullups (i.e. work on contracting the muscles involved a little harder).