• View topic - Squat substitution

Squat substitution

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Squat substitution

Postby Genre » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:36 am

Hello everyone,

I have been following the simplefit program for a little while now (13 weeks) and progressed decently well. However, recently I have been experiencing some knee pains when performing my squats. I was wondering what replacement exercise would be the most recommended while I get it checked and give it some time to recuperate.

I should also mention that I run both inside and outside (depending on my mood) 3 times a week for about 30-45 minutes (each run) but that I feel no pain when doing so. This leads me to believe there may be something wrong with the way I am doing my squats.

Re: Squat substitution

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Dont squat at all if it gives you pain go see a doc and get it checked out.
Site Admin

Postby scumdogg » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:04 pm

As Kevin said, see your doctor for a proper diagnosis. I would add, however, that knee pain during squats is mostly attributed to bad form. Most people will start squats by pointing their feet straight forward and moving their knees forward first and then their hips, dropping into a squat. This results in a bottom position where the knees are projecting past the toes, resulting in excessive pressure on the joint. To squat properly: feet should be shoulder width apart, toes angled outwards 15-30 degrees so that your knees track over your toes as you squat. To start the squat, move your hips back, just like you are going to sit in a chair. Your torso should not be straight up, but leaning slightly forward. At the bottom of the squat, your knees should not be past your toes. When you begin to rise from the squat position, you should be pushing with your heels/mid-foot, not from the toes. If you keep rolling forward on your toes, you'll have to increase the flexibility in your hamstrings. This tongue-in-cheek video gives a good example You can also just Google "proper squat form" Most of the videos involve weighted squats, but the same form applies to bodyweight squats.

Postby Genre » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks scumdogg, I will check out my form it is probably the source of my current problem. In the mean time, I have replaced my squats with sit-ups; I was looking for an exercise that would not throw off my timing too much and I guess it will serve its purpose while I sort things out with this knee.

Again, thank you.

Postby LauraYamada » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:24 am

Your knee painfulness and outside knee pain might be correctly recognized if the right investigation methods are followed. A good method to find how to treat knee pain, is after your physician has properly discovered all things.

Return to fitness training