Simplefit.org • View topic - Thoughts on dips

Thoughts on dips

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Thoughts on dips

Postby scumdogg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:45 am

I just looked at the Optional Workouts in the previous post and was very happy to see dips included. I've heard dips referred to as "upper body squats" because they work almost the entire upper body -- chest, triceps, and shoulders -- with just one exercise. I'm very eager to include dips in my home fitness routine but I have one problem; I have nowhere to do them. I know that some articles suggest using two chairs back to back, but I'm a big guy (6'2", 260+pounds) so I don't see my kitchen chairs lasting very long under that kind of abuse :D So I've come to the conclusion that I will have to build something. I'm toying with the idea of building a dip station out of 2x4s. Has anyone tried this?? If so do you have any plans you'd like to share??
scumdogg

Postby samjackson » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:24 am

Have you thought about buying or making a set of rings? You may be able to hang them in your garage, if you have one, or another high place, either indoors or out.

As has been mentioned before, rings are very versatile. They can be used for dips, pull-ups, push-ups and the much coveted muscle-up. And, they can be set up and taken down in minutes.

Check out http://www.ringtraining.com/ for more info.
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby scumdogg » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:50 am

Hi samjackson, thanks for the suggestion and the link. I think rings would be good to try. I have a screened in porch at the back of my house so I could easily hang the the rings from the rafters beside my chin up bar. Any suggestions on how I could make these at home? I know where I can pick up the straps, but do you have any suggestions for what I could use for the ring part?
scumdogg

Postby samjackson » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:20 am

I've heard of people using PVC pipe. You make semi circles of PVC pipe (you have to heat and bend the pipe). Then thread the nylon webbing through the semi-circles and tie it off. You may be able to find more info at the crossfit forum http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/board-topics.html. Do a forum search on "making rings" or something like that. There are a lot of smart people on the forum so you should be able to find something. Good luck.
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:10 pm

I second Jacks suggestion, rings are one of the single best pieces of equipment you can own. Not only do they make pushups pull-ups and dips allot more challenging but the will really work the stabilizing muscles. Start slow with them and gradually increase your rang of motion though.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to fitness training