• View topic - Eating - when? How to avoid nausea?

Eating - when? How to avoid nausea?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Eating - when? How to avoid nausea?

Postby dgkimpton » Wed May 09, 2007 12:58 pm

Man, I managed just 10 minutes of the day 1 work out today before I had to stop due to feeling extremely nauseous.

I guess leaving 2 hours after my meal was not sufficient - but how long is appropriate between eating and working out?

Any other tips for avoiding exercise generated nausea? It's a sucky way to not complete a workout :(

(sorry - I'm just a thread creating machine at the moment)

Postby Admin » Wed May 09, 2007 1:10 pm

I usually wait 3-5
Site Admin

Postby scumdogg » Wed May 09, 2007 5:56 pm

Maybe the problem isn't that you're eating too close to working out, but that you're not eating the proper foods before working out. I know that I feel nauseous during a hard workout when my blood sugar dips low. If you haven't tried it already, maybe include some complex carbs an hour or two before working out to help keep your energy reserves topped up?

Postby JoeBerne » Thu May 10, 2007 8:14 am

I will respectfully disagree with scumdogg. Or at least say that this isn't true for everyone. I try to make exercise the last thing I do before I start to eat. I eat from about 5:30 or 6 PM until 9:30 at night or so, and work out after work (I'm a school teacher, so I get out a little early). This way my evening meal acts as the postworkout refeeding. This seems to be good for maintaining my muscle mass (if anything, I've added some muscle since starting IF).
On occasion I do work out in the middle of my fasting period and haven't noticed any problelms delaying the next meal other than hunger. Your body may just need more time to get used to exercise on an empty stomach. I certainly couldn't eat during my feeding time - if you only eat for a few hours a day you won't have time to eat, digest properly, then exercise, then eat again, I think.

Postby scumdogg » Thu May 10, 2007 11:38 am

Hi Joe,

I agree that everyone is different and that the important thing to take away from this is that you have to try different things until you find out what works for you. Nausea during training can stem from a number of different causes so it will be up to DG to experiment a little. Eating 2 - 3 hours before a workout should be ample time to digest a meal as long as it's not too large so I thought perhaps hypoglycemia might be the culprit:

"Symptoms experienced as a result of low blood sugar include weakness, mood swings, headaches, nervousness, irritability, or nausea with milder cases..."

However, as we agreed, different people may react differently to the same workouts so you may be less prone to it than I am. The easiest way to experience hypoglycemia that I know of is to do multiple sets of heavy squats, although I've experienced it after heavy back work, like barbell rows, not that I'm condoning that sort of thing :wink:

Return to fitness training