Simplefit.org • View topic - Beginner question about levels

Beginner question about levels

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Beginner question about levels

Postby saiyanate » Tue May 29, 2007 9:31 am

I'm not sure I understand the levels of SimpleFit. I ditched weightlifting in favor of bodyweight exercises about a year ago, so I already had a decent foundation on which to begin. Therefore I started SimpleFit at Level 3. Let me note that I added in some overhead presses with two 25# plates to each day's rounds.

Level 3, day 1: I exercised almost continuously, getting about 25 rounds in.
Level 3, day 2: I forgot to wait 3 minutes between each round, but I was still able to exercise almost continuously, getting the 5 rounds done in about 7 minutes.
Level 3, day 3: Here's the rub! I couldn't get 16 pullups in one set, nor 33 pushups in one set. Total time for 1 round was about 4.5 minutes including rests. (In case you want more detail to understand where I'm at, the 16 pullups went like this: 8, 4, 2, 2, resting about 10-20 seconds between. Similar pattern for the pushups.)

Should I stay at Level 3 until I can knock out 16 pullups at once and 33 pushups at once, or should I proceed to Level 4? Perhaps I should drop down to Level 2 or 1 until I can do their respective '1 round for time' workouts?

I guess it's no problem if I do, say, Level 4 day 1, Level 4 day 2, then Level 2 day 3. But I'm wondering if my lagging behind on day 3 is indicative of any imbalance in my training, and if so, if it needs addressing or if it will 'work itself out' (har har).
saiyanate

Postby Admin » Tue May 29, 2007 10:51 am

Breaking the sets is fine as long as you finish all the work in 5 min or less and that is just a guideline, feel free to adjust to what suits you.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Return to fitness training