• View topic - Another pullup question

Another pullup question

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Another pullup question

Postby Bri3626 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:39 am

Noticed this week that I'm sticking right at the point where I have to reach my chin up to get over the bar.

Looking at the Crossfit WOD's they say thats cheating pretty much. I assume that means you need to keep looking straight ahead and pull to the chest. Or at the least looking straight ahead the chin gets over the bar as you pull to the chest. Hope that doesn't sound confusing.

Do you think its better to gut it out and pull for all I can to get the full reach or should I substitute (i.e. jumping pullups with a slow negative) when I reach that sticking point? (doing a negative count as a rep?)

Also if I get my chin over the bar but I'm "reaching" I would assume it doesn't count as a rep right? I look at my pushups like that. If my nose and chest don't touch the floor I don't count it.

Ok, still another question. Is a jumping pullup with a negative the best exercise to fix that sticking point? Or should I rest even longer?
I'm literally about one to two inches from gettin over the bar without cheating.

Ok sorry about being long winded on this. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right. Thanks.

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:21 am

I want this answer too...

Postby pytron » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:42 pm

I found that if I focused on pulling my elbows back toward my body explosively, it automatically pulled my head up far enough. It really made a difference for me. Your mileage may vary.

Postby Admin » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:53 pm

I always think front lever and lean way back pulling the shoulder blades together
Site Admin

Postby Bri3626 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:11 am

Ok Ill give it a shot and see what happens. Thanks.

Postby scumdogg » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:45 am

I second pytron; imagine not just pulling up, but pushing down with your elbows and try to get a little more explosive power into at least the first few reps to power yourself up and over I found that's helped me the most.

Return to fitness training