Simplefit.org • View topic - More on pullups - how wide?

More on pullups - how wide?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

More on pullups - how wide?

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:41 pm

So - I have a wingspan of 7ft or so (I remind you - middle hitter/blocker).

Anyone have a good rule-of-thumb for proper width to place your hands?

My door gym is great BUT - I have to use the close grip or my elbows hit the door frame.

I am designing a pullup bar on a gate-type system to help me use a wider grip. I can't imagine anything but that it will be far more comfortable.

I even anticipate a change in my pullup numbers (possibly even lower) due to change in muscles used.
volleyball_man

Postby Musky » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:29 am

The numbers are likely to lower, as the range of motion of the biceps is reduced so the laterals become the main mover. This however will give you a strong back and nice wide lats
Musky

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:29 am

Thanks for the reply!

I hope to see that be the case.

I'll let you know.
volleyball_man

Postby goodluckfox » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:10 am

Thanks for askign this, VBM. I've been wondering the exact same thing... I've got what feels like a very narrow door, and it's hard to do pullups comfortably... I mean, they're hard enough (nigh unto impossible) as it is without bumping my elboews against the frame. My hands wind up being just a bit more than shoulder width apart. I feel like if I could just get my hands farther apart, I could get more oomph on it.
goodluckfox
Advanced Member

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:09 am

Yep!

My hands are less than shoulder width...
volleyball_man

Postby dgkimpton » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:20 am

goodluckfox wrote:Thanks for askign this, VBM. I've been wondering the exact same thing... I've got what feels like a very narrow door, and it's hard to do pullups comfortably... I mean, they're hard enough (nigh unto impossible) as it is without bumping my elboews against the frame. My hands wind up being just a bit more than shoulder width apart. I feel like if I could just get my hands farther apart, I could get more oomph on it.

Funny, I find them easier with my hands closer together...
dgkimpton

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:55 am

Of course - the real difference for me will be that I won't have to tuck my body to keep from bottoming out. A little kipping is in order! :D
volleyball_man

Postby aussiechick » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:10 pm

I can see why you guys would be having trouble with the door gym. I'm only fairly small framed and I like to have my hands on the outside edges of my pull up bar, a couple of handwidths wider than my shoulders feels kindest on my wrists.
aussiechick

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:09 am

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate my door gym. I have gotten pretty far pretty fast. I will be glad to have it for inclement weather and travel.

Hopefully this weekend, I'll finally get around to constructing my outdoor pullup bar. I think I have a pretty cool solution. The real challenge is to get it high enough and keep it stable. I'll definitely post pics once I finish it. I do think that the width will be an enormous plus for me. I am sure I'll feel more comfortable than I presently do.

The quest for the perfect pullup continues...
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:53 am

Listen to your shoulders if you go super wide as this can be hard on the rotator cuff 's of some people.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:01 am

Will do!
volleyball_man

Postby chachee » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 am

I've found that for different widths I can hit different muscle groups. Also if I do a palms in or out grip I need different widths.

Depends on what you want to hit in the end, I would imagine.

JT
chachee

Return to fitness training