Simplefit.org • View topic - day 2 idea - slow as possible?

day 2 idea - slow as possible?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

day 2 idea - slow as possible?

Postby thrope » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:10 am

Hi,

I've always been a bit confused about day 2 - there seems to be a contradiction between being rounds for time and it being a 'strength' day.

Anyway I had an idea I think I'm going to try -

day 2 is for time, but the goal is to take as long as possible. Only time spent actually doing reps is counted. So the idea is do day 2 reps without stopping as slowly as possible. If you do have to rest, stop the clock, then rest between rounds with the clock stopped as normal. Hopefully as you get stronger you will be able to go slower the next time so your time will increase.

Only real problem I see with this is that as you increase levels it's going to take longer and longer - I guess once it gets to 20/30 minutes you need to find some other exercises.

What do people think?
thrope

Postby Admin » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:37 am

sounds like an interesting experiment.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby ucffool » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:07 pm

For some feedback, this is how I've done Day 2 for the past 1+ months:
Go as slow as possible while maintaining a continuous round, then rest 3 minutes and repeat. Bodyrows and pushups for me speed up as I get to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds to maintain the rule, 'stay under failure'. My D2 time, which I find a bit useless, is about 8-10 minutes. This also has the added benefit of core work on push-ups.
ucffool

Postby riot » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:59 am

This is how I've started doing my D2 workouts, too. About 3-4 weeks ago, I thought about not timing them at all anymore, but decided I would still do it.
riot

Postby Admin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:31 am

Suggestions

make sure you are doing 100% full rom and you can go a little closer to failure but don't go all the way.

Full rom example (nose and hips to floor on each push up)

Be sure to keep the 3 min break between rounds for full recovery.

I like the idea of doing this stuff really slow

Use more aggressive angles, weighted vest , bands, rings, single limb, whatever to up the resistance.

Example: subbing dips for push ups may be a nice option.

Day 2 is the strength day
If you can keep your reps in the 5x5 range you will see the most strength/muscle gains.

So find a adapted push, pull, squat that you will fail at 7 reps and do 5x5 with those.

Suggested options
(feel free to add stuff you like to this list) try to adhere to the spirit of minimal equipment)

Push:
HS push-up
Dips
one hand push ups

Pull
L-pull ups
inverted pull-ups
one hand pull-ups

Leg:
weighted squat
one legged squat

I personally like to ad specific core work on this day either "evil wheel" or dragons.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jm054 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:03 pm

I like the idea of doing single limb work during the off week. Dumbbell press from the floor, Bulgarian squats, 1-arm bent over rows. I think it also a good idea to change the movement pattern. For instance, deadlifts and lunges in place of squats. I think simplefit does a great job of developing GPP and preparing someone for more advanced programs.
jm054

Postby Admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:05 am

jm054 you may like these workouts
http://www.simplefit.org/workout2.html
http://www.simplefit.org/workout3.html

Here are some cool strength centric programs that are all bodyweight, I spoke to the author and will include them as part of the simplefit site.

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

That is some serious functional fitness, and I really like the idea of not needing any equipment.
Admin
Site Admin

Return to fitness training