Simplefit.org • View topic - Pull-up Station?

Pull-up Station?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Pull-up Station?

Postby firedepot » Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:54 pm

Anybody have any feedback on something like the Weider 200 pull-up/dip station? I am approx. 160 lbs(and losing), and I am curious as to the stability of the machine. Could you do Kipping pullups on it? It would make quitting the gym much easier.... Thanks in advance.
firedepot
Advanced Member

Postby Bri3626 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:02 am

Not sure about the Weider one but in my experience most of them are cheap productions. 9 times out of 10 I believe your better off making your own vs. buying in a store.

Most of the pullup/dip machines I've seen/used weren't balanced correctly and rocked when doing the pullups.

I went out and bought a fairly lengthy set of 4x4's (I think 12-15 feet is good depending on preference for height). Key thing here is you need to plant your posts at least 2 feet in ground for good stability. I just used quickcrete and let it set.

I drilled a good inch and a half hole in the upper part where I wanted my bar and then just bought a 4 foot section of pipe. It works pretty good.
Bri3626

Postby scumdogg » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:12 am

Home Depot is your friend :) I built my chin up bar out of a length of 3/4" galvanized pipe with an elbow on each end and then a floor connector attached and I screwed this to a piece of 2x4 running through my rafters. It's rock solid (even when my 250lb frame is swinging on it) and it was under $20. It amazes me how much the fitness stores charge for good exercise equipment. I plan on taking a welding course someday just so I can build my own dip station and power rack.
scumdogg

Thanks...

Postby firedepot » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:30 am

Thanks for the tips. My father-in-law is a manager at a local lumber/building materials warehouse and he can get stuff like lumber and such for practically nothing, especially if it's blemished. I'll get to work next week on it!
firedepot
Advanced Member

Return to fitness training