Simplefit.org • View topic - Rings at the Park

Rings at the Park

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Rings at the Park

Postby splint » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:18 am

When I was on vacation last week I went to a local park and they had a pull-up station with 4 different height bars and a ring station with two sets of rings at different levels. :!:

I decided to try a muscle-up for the first time and realized I had a long way to go. I couldn't do one on the high rings, even when jumping. On the lower rings I was able to some with a jump assist.

The experiment led me to believe that I need to get or make a set of rings for training. The ring dips I were doing were very challenging and I could definitely feel the benefit of the rings.

But mostly I just thought it was cool that they had a ring station.
splint

Postby scumdogg » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 pm

This is a timely post since just yesterday I bought some nylon rope and pvc pipe to make my own ring setup at home. There's a post in the equipment section of the crossfit.com message board that shows a very nice looking set of homemade rings. What the guy had done was take two lengths of pvc (looked to be about 1 1/4" or more in diameter - I'm not sure what the diameter of real rings are) and heated them in the oven on a foil-lined baking sheet. Then removed the pipe (while wearing gloves) and bent them around a paint can. After they hardened he wrapped them with grip tape and hung them up. They looked like a pretty good replacement for store bought rings.

And congrats on the near-muscle up. That's one of my long-term goals.
scumdogg

Return to fitness training