Simplefit.org • View topic - Intensity

Intensity

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Intensity

Postby splint » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:04 pm

I was wondering about how everyone defines intensity, especially in terms of Day 1 rounds. In the beginning I would set my countdown timer at 20 minutes and keep an eye on it to gage my pace. I always set out to beat the my previous record at that level. But if I had, for example, 20 rounds previously, I'd mentally prepare myself saying I could pace out a little over 1 round per minute and beat my record. To me that seemed like it wasn't really giving my all. It wasn't easy but there was no reason to limit myself to one round per minute.

I guess what it comes down to is what do you think would be better in completing 20 rounds, like 10 in the first 5 minutes and then 10 over the next 15 minutes or one round per minute? Is there a difference?
splint

Postby Admin » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:53 pm

The most simple way to think about it is what work rest timing structure will allow you to do the most work in the least amount of time.

if doing 15 rounds resting 2 min then doing 15 is possible where if you went straight through at a moderate pace for 25 I would go with the first option.

Often we need to rest to maximize intensity
Admin
Site Admin

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:52 am

"Intensity's for s*#t! You've got to WIN! WIN!..." - Sporto (The Breakfast Club)

Yeah - I'm old.

First - Hi splint! I've been amazed and inspired by your progress. You're a good example!

Second - I played around with the rest times a lot when I was doing the SF workout. I kept my previous week's workout log in front of me and challenged myself by taking the rests that Kevin mentioned and tying to shorten them, delay them, take fewer... I found that, for me, playing with the rest times was something that gave me a ton of improvement.

Keep up the good work -
Brad.
volleyball_man

Postby captain » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:28 am

There was a very comprrehensive thead on the BRAND X site that asked this very question. In terms of CrossFit the discussion revolved around power and improvement. If you work too hard initially the overall power expended in your w/o will likely diminish so pacing yourself most often results in a higher power w/o. Working to improve each time you perform a w/o maintains high intensity.
Moreover, I believe that you ought not make the w/o regimen so onerous that you dread it so a systematic approach to progression with reasonable intensity ought to be the key to maintaining continuity and progession.
captain

Postby splint » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:57 am

I guess if you're beating previous records then you're doing something right. My main point was something that happens to me occasionally like last time I did 26 rounds on D1. So, say for example that I just finished the 25th round and see that I have 3:00 minutes left of the 20 minute timer. Sometimes I think, ok, I have a minute and a half for each round to break my record that means I can do a round in maybe 30 seconds and have a minute rest time. But a part of me sees that as not giving full intensity because I can actually do more than two rounds in the final two minutes so I ramp it out and do 4 or 5 more rounds in the final 3 minutes.

Like I said, I wouldn't get down on myself if I continue to beat records but I want to make sure I don't mentally sell myself short on workouts.
splint

Return to fitness training