Simplefit.org • View topic - Excellent, stand-alone portable pullup bar

Excellent, stand-alone portable pullup bar

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Excellent, stand-alone portable pullup bar

Postby miles » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:55 pm

I've been a lurker on Simplefit.org for almost a year, and loved the simplicity of the routine. However, I could not find a pullup bar anywhere nearby, nor could I use the doorway-style bars (not much range of motion anyway). After over a year of searching, I finally found a stand-alone, portable pullup bar:

http://trapezerigging.com/trapeze/?size=pullup

It is extremely well-made and true to the blurb:
This portable pull up bar weighs 22lbs and comes in small pieces which can be assembled in 40 seconds. It's 7 feet tall, and 42 inches wide. Stores easily and can serve as a hanger for plants and clothing when not in use.

I can set it up in well under a minute, and break it down even faster. Allows for an excellent range of motion, too. Trevor (the craftsman/owner) was a pleasure to deal with.

BTW, for pushups, I'm a big fan of the Perfect Pushup, which has awesome reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000KDM3BG/

Just wanted to share these two finds - I'm not associated with either in any way, other than as a satisfied customer.
miles

Re: Excellent, stand-alone portable pullup bar

Postby riot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:26 am

miles wrote:BTW, for pushups, I'm a big fan of the Perfect Pushup, which has awesome reviews on Amazon:

Just wanted to share these two finds - I'm not associated with either in any way, other than as a satisfied customer.

I wanted the Perfect Push-up for Christmas, but didn't receive it from either of the people I asked. :( Guess I'll end up buying it myself sometime in the future...
riot

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:37 am

riot wrote:
miles wrote:BTW, for pushups, I'm a big fan of the Perfect Pushup, which has awesome reviews on Amazon:

I wanted the Perfect Push-up for Christmas, but didn't receive it from either of the people I asked. :( Guess I'll end up buying it myself sometime in the future...

Rings are way better than perfect push ups for push ups and give you allot more options.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby riot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:40 pm

Admin wrote:Rings are way better than perfect push ups for push ups and give you allot more options.

True, but getting rings and then figuring out a way to hang them is more difficult than getting these. :wink:

Most likely, I'll just stick to using the floor. It's already there and it's free... :D
riot

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:07 pm

another good option is to do them on your knuckles with socks on hardwood or magazine page on carpet so you can rotate your arms freely.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoeBerne » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:21 am

Why on earth would you use socks?

Do them on your knuckles (the two closest to your thumb, not the last three) and grow some calluses. After a little while you get nice, thickened knuckles, useful for intimidating people and for preventing damage when you punch things :) . Plus, you can impress people at parties by dropping onto concrete or whatever and doing knuckle pushups.

An added benefit is an extra opportunity to learn to handle pain.

Just build up to it slowly.
JoeBerne

Postby Admin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:30 am

The socks allow your arms to rotate freely if there is a joint issue. I have never experienced anything I would really consider pain on concrete or asfault using knuckles, but I have had tendinitis bad enough that it would prevent push ups or pull ups.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby treuben » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:30 pm

Hi Miles!,

I too have damn near been desperately searching for a standalone pullup bar and happened up that website you mentioned in your post. I read about the product and it seemed promising, but I was still not sure so I checked out the testimonials and came up your post. You seemed very pleased with this product and I was wondering could you answer a couple questions for me. First of all can you tell me how stable the pull up is? I wanted to practice kipping pullups on it. Do you think I can do this maybe if weight the station down with a couple 50lb sandbags? Does the bar come with the green pad at the bottom like its shown on the trapezerigging website? I want to use it in my bedroom. I rent a room in someones house so that is the only place where I can put it. I should be able to put up right? In my room that is? I hope this is pullup bar I have been looking for. Please answer me back at your earliest convenience. Thanks a lot Miles. I look forward to hearing from you.

-treuben :)

miles wrote:I've been a lurker on Simplefit.org for almost a year, and loved the simplicity of the routine. However, I could not find a pullup bar anywhere nearby, nor could I use the doorway-style bars (not much range of motion anyway). After over a year of searching, I finally found a stand-alone, portable pullup bar:

http://trapezerigging.com/trapeze/?size=pullup

It is extremely well-made and true to the blurb:
This portable pull up bar weighs 22lbs and comes in small pieces which can be assembled in 40 seconds. It's 7 feet tall, and 42 inches wide. Stores easily and can serve as a hanger for plants and clothing when not in use.

I can set it up in well under a minute, and break it down even faster. Allows for an excellent range of motion, too. Trevor (the craftsman/owner) was a pleasure to deal with.

BTW, for pushups, I'm a big fan of the Perfect Pushup, which has awesome reviews on Amazon:

treuben

Postby dpowell » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:02 am

Do pull ups and chin up at home with no damage to anything but your aching body.
dpowell

Postby leomartin6 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:21 pm

I have found a lot of useful information regarding fitness from here. Thanks for the guidance. I'll keep them in my mind too.
leomartin6

Postby AbGirl » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:09 am

riot wrote:
Admin wrote:Rings are way better than perfect push ups for push ups and give you allot more options.

True, but getting rings and then figuring out a way to hang them is more difficult than getting these. :wink:

Most likely, I'll just stick to using the floor. It's already there and it's free... :D

Been there, done that... you're absolutely right - Just give me the floor! :lol:
AbGirl

Postby ButtSmack » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:55 am

I have this pull-up bar and highly recommend against it.

PROS: easy to set-up/dismantle/transport

CONS: every thing is a delicate balancing act because the creator didn't understand how awkward it is to manually balance the two uprights portions while carefully attaching the horizontal connector. The vertical pieces don't stand on their own and, as I discuss below, are not forgiving if balancing the uprights mean you lower the horizontal bar into place in a less than perfect fashion.

CONS: because no parts really connect, the delicately balanced device will fall apart on you if you grip the contraption above any of the connections. Moving it means you have to dismantle it or drag it across the floor.

CONS: there is only a hair's breadth between the pieces which insert into another piece. If, during the delicate juggling act, the horizontal piece descends further on one upright than it does the other the entire thing may wedge out of place so fiercely that you spend days trying to force it free.

CONS: stupidly expensive for what you get. Almost $400.

these issues could be quite easily solved by vertical uprights with a flat bottom, connections with the ability to lock the pieces together simply by turning one pipe into another's groove, and more space between the insertion points.

This product us absolutely NOT worth the incredible amount of money you will pay for it.
ButtSmack

Return to fitness training