Simplefit.org • View topic - what to do on off days?

what to do on off days?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

what to do on off days?

Postby ddm » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:20 pm

Hey - I started at level 1 about a month ago and have been working consistently. I'd like to get a few simple off-day workouts going. I have a few criteria and I hope you all can guide me in the right direction.

1] I have two goals - getting strong and losing weight. I suppose a side goal would be great endurance as well.

2] I don't want to hinder muscles from recovering - that's what an off day is for.

Here's an example of what I was thinking about:

OffDay1:
As many rounds in 20 minutes
5 reps 20 lb dumbbell push press
10 situps
5 reps 20 lb dumbbell overhead squat

After typing that up, it looks more like a full workout. I definitely don't want to overdo it. How bout this:

5 rounds for time:
4 reps 20lb dumbbell push press
10 situps
3 overhead squats

I'm totally guessing at all of the numbers here, but what do you think?
ddm

Postby splint » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:50 am

I think your set-up looks pretty good.

For a long time, I lifted weights on my off day, bench, deadlift, squat, barbell rows. It worked for a while but, in my opinion, I think it contributed to over-training and a few over-use issues. Doing 300 some push-ups a week plus bench presses and overhead presses was a toll on my elbows and shoulders. So I actually switched to doing weightlifting after simplefit and that seemed to work out better. Took the off day to rest, or do light cardio or yoga.

Just keep an eye out for symptoms of over-training, over-use, that's all.

If I feel like doing something on my off-days now, I do The Dumbell Bearor kettlebell swings. Something that can give me a good workout in a short amount of time.
splint

Postby Admin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:51 am

"Just keep an eye out for symptoms of over-training, over-use, that's all"

Exactly
Admin
Site Admin

Return to fitness training