Simplefit.org • View topic - Pull up technique?

Pull up technique?

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

Pull up technique?

Postby changeup » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:06 pm

Help!!!
I'm having trouble with the pull ups. They are a great indication of strength/weight ratio... and yes... my weight is too high.

Can I use a weighted pull up machine (ie: graviton) or should I do negative pull ups or should I just continue to flounder and grunt, much to the amusement of the whole gym?

Are there any technique tips that might help? I know the crossfit crowd is keen on kipping. Is that okay?

PS: I am doing modified Zone right now and plan to do 100% when I finish moving this week. Should help with the extra weight I carry. Will let you know how that goes.
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby ucffool » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:39 pm

You can kip, though consider it a 2:1 kipping:not.
Also, I burned out my nervous system doing negatives, so mix it up. I don't see an issue with using a pull-up machine, but you don't get as good a workout as when you are free-floating from the bar.
As suggested on simplefit, you should consider doing body rows , possibly with rings as you build it... mix it up.
ucffool

Postby changeup » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:43 pm

I don't have rings but will use body rows with towel. Interested in your comment that you burned out your nervous system. Can you expand?

What I love about the SF workouts is how deceptive they are. I'm adding in extra squats since I'm stuck on the pull ups at a very low number, but my legs can handle more.

I'll just keep working at it.
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby ucffool » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:50 pm

When I described what I went through, that's how Kevin put it. Basically, I had a fear of jumping up to the bar, and my body just refused to operate properly. It was mentally exhausting. Switching to bodyrows really helped me through that.
ucffool

Postby changeup » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Thanks. That made so much sense. I'm doing CrossFit for the next four weeks and using bands for pull ups (cheating?), but I figure if I can get technique and intensity nailed I will be okay. Hope to drop bands next week.

Still doing towel pull ups at my park. Anyone else do SimpleFit outdoors and get weird looks?
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby ucffool » Fri May 23, 2008 3:59 pm

No weird looks (I'm always outside), most people ask what I'm training for. :) I tell them LIFE.
ucffool

Postby splint » Sun May 25, 2008 10:18 am

Crossfit theory is that learning the kipping pull-up benefits your dead hang pull-up number. So don't worry about using that. You almost have to use kipping at Crossfit as the workout I did today was 3 rounds of 800m run/50 pull-ups. I think it might take me a week to do 150 dead hang pull-ups.

I had a funny conversation this morning when the father of two kids who couldn't do one pull-ups (the kids couldn't, I doubt the father could either) but he asked how many pull-ups I was doing and I said, well today it's 150. He said, "150 Pull-ups!?!? :shock: "
splint

Postby volleyball_man » Sun May 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Did you see the vid for butterfly pullups recently?

Bodyrows helped me a ton - as did negatives. I also have and use bands. I don't see a big negative (pardon the pun) to using a gravitron if you are overweight and in the process of losing it.

The way I understand it, kipping uses more of your whole body where dead-hang is more of an isolation exercise. If your goal is to get to level 8 as a transition to crossfit's Cindy - then kip away!
volleyball_man

Postby changeup » Sun May 25, 2008 7:31 pm

VB: Where is the vid for the butterfly pill ups posted?

PS: Agree about the pull up rows and gravitron.
changeup
Advanced Member

Postby changeup » Sun May 25, 2008 7:35 pm

Hey. Ignore my post. Just went to CrossFit and saw the video. I've been away all weekend camping. Gotta love the Canadian north... but gotta hate the blackfies!
changeup
Advanced Member

Return to fitness training