Simplefit.org • View topic - job-related over training

job-related over training

body weight workout

Moderator: cheapo

job-related over training

Postby gwmccull » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:27 am

During the winter, I'm a ski instructor, so I work out most days on the hill (although many days aren't very challenging physically, they can be very challenging mentally). In addition to teaching skiing, I've was trying to do additional exercise. I do a hard yoga class once a week. I attend ski training clinics (where we learn to improve our personal skiing) one to two times a week. I was also trying to use the SimpleFit workouts to increase my strength.

You can probably guess from all of the past tense verbs that I'm not there anymore. After working 3 weeks straight (of a 5 week marathon stretch), I hit a wall. I got a little sick and mentally I couldn't take another workout. I didn't even want to read about other people working out. I've now had a few weeks of only part-time ski instructing and sitting around the house, so I'm starting to feel pretty good (ski schools go through relatively predictable, intense periods where volume grows so high that all days off are canceled). Sorry to ramble on but my question is this, "How do others deal with fitness & over-training when exercise is part of your job?"

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this. Thanks.
gwmccull

Postby ucffool » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:43 pm

Tough call, I've never had fitness as part of my 'job'. I would say that it is important to remove any extra workouts besides what is required of you when you starting hitting that wall... if you mentally burn out, nothing will help you.
ucffool

Return to fitness training