• View topic - zone diet - any bad experiences

zone diet - any bad experiences

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

zone diet - any bad experiences

Postby jdog_ramone » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:48 pm

So I just finished reading "the zone" on the plane...I never really was a big fan of diets, supplements, or crazy nutrion plans. I've always been a "calories in/calories out/everything in moderation" kinda guy and it's worked reasonably well for me so far (I could probably moderate the beer a bit better sometimes...different story).

Anyway, since this workout's been working so well and the prevailing wisdom seems to be that diet is more important than excercise...thought I'd try to expand my mind a bit.

most of the approach outlined in the book does make sense to me...although I also read through the AMA criticism of the zone diet

( - the journal article is especially in depth, although I think the focus may be on high-protein diets in general rather than zone diet specifically)

I'm a bit worried about changing my approach to nutrition, worried about the potential perils of untested fad diets, worried if all the claims in the book can be backed scientifically, wondering if maintaining this stricter diet will be more of a hassle than it's worth...etc.

so - any negative experiences or general critical thoughts out there with this type of diet? anyone find it too hard to stick to?

I'm also wondering a bit about the cost of buying this much protein every week...and maybe even the negative environmental impact of this diet (is it sustainable if everyone lived in the zone? I try to live as green as possible, these things concern me.)

Postby Admin » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Zone diet is great starting program imho it makes you keenly aware of macro nutrient ratios, portion sizes, and glycemic index of foods.
It gets a little over the top with all its measuring after a while but if you choose good carb sources you can do really well with the zone eyeball method
Site Admin

Postby dgkimpton » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:16 pm

I've been pseudo following the zone since I started Simplefit. I.e. I took the principles and try to stay close to them without all the measuring stuff (too tedious).

Honestly, I'm not sure if it is the diet or the excercise but I feel great. And it's getting better all the time.

Now, if I could just crack getting more than 6 hours sleep a night I reckon I'd be golden!

In other words - go for it!

Return to Nutrition