Simplefit.org • View topic - Wanted: Ideas for a reluctant vegified family

Wanted: Ideas for a reluctant vegified family

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

Postby Admin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:17 am

It comes down to hormonal state of the body, here is something I wrote before about the topic http://www.simplefit.org/ideal-meal.html. I suggest you just try and see what happens, if we keep doing the same thing we cant expect different results right? I went from 212 to 170 eating like that and never count calories calories. This is an approximation of how I eat http://www.simplefit.org/menu.html

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby kdo463 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:49 am

So, I read through the Paleo Diet book. I guess the problem with beans and other legumes is that they are highly acidic and have inflammatory properties. And according to the Zone Diet author, the human body can't get enough of the protein out of beans to make it an efficient source of anything except carbs and fiber.

I'm not sure I buy all that 100%. I think you may have problems if you try to make beans your only source of protein, but I don't totally agree that we should avoid beans and legumes altogether.

I DO think that what my wife is lacking IS protein, though. I'm not sure if she will ever be able to eat meat again, but I will try to get her to try whey and soy products despite the alleged negatives.

My son and I have been eating more meat the past few weeks. I think we will settle into something like Paleo Level I. Meat, veggies, and friut primarily. But we will still eat a small share of other foods as well.
kdo463

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Sounds like a good plan!

For me the issue with legumes is that they are a ultra dense carb source with relatively low nutrient density.

1 cup black beans = 5 cups broccoli or 5 cups spinach or 5 cups zucchini

But heck beans are way better than bread or pasta!
Admin
Site Admin

I'm Lacto ovo

Postby Matthew.percussion » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:03 am

Hey,
I'm a vegetarian too.

I have been for nearly 6 months, not too long. I have been doing quite a bit of research on the topic though. Like most people know there are 20 different Amino Acids. You need all 20 of them to make protein. Not one single vegetable has adequate amounts of all 20 of them. This is why you need to mix and match. Now beans are not a vegetable obviously, but they do have quite a bit of amino acids, not all of them granted. There is also Rice, once again not a vegetable, which has many amino acids as well. Rice is a contrast to most beans and together they make up for the others lack in amino acids. A lot of my meals are stapled with rice and beans.

I can look for some more information on this later, I will post it on my blog. heres a link if you want to check it out
Tofu Gymnast
Matthew.percussion

Previous

Return to Nutrition