• View topic - Nutrition from a medical perspective.

Nutrition from a medical perspective.

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

Nutrition from a medical perspective.

Postby Bri3626 » Sun May 20, 2007 5:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been using this weblink for some time. I advise a lot of my obese and sedentary patients to use the "16 foods to eat more often" list and Dr. Masley's top 100 foods list. His books are a nice easy read too but the website is free and has the lists on it via the "Vitality tips and Resources" link. Take a look and see what you think.

Postby volleyball_man » Mon May 21, 2007 2:10 am

Cool site.

Cool site but. . .

Postby DanB » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:55 am

This is a cool site, and I agree with him that we can include foods in a healthy diet beyond strict Paleo prescriptions (like dairy, especially cultured dairy, which I think should be whole, not non-fat).

But I agree with Kevin that grains are not nutritional powerhouses, even in their whole forms. The other thing to worry about with many grains (esp. wheat) is that they contain anti-nutrients in their bran (most notably phytic acid), which leech calcium, phosphorus, iron, and magnesium from our body. Harold McGee, in his justifiably celebrated On Food and Cooking, describes a rickets epidemic in Ireland after WWI when dairy rations were low and kids subsisted largely on whole grain bread. Bad combination.

If you're interested in whole grain eating, you really should get Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions (connected with Weston Price Foundation). She describes the proper way to eat whole grains so as to neutralize their phytic acid content (soaking legumes or sour leavening bread). Packed full of great recipes--and very meat and veggie friendly.

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:42 pm

I am catching the hint that the strict simplefit diet is a little to hard core, I am not sure anybody is using it but me. I guess the next best thing I would endorse is the zone, but as always do whatever works for you guys.

Site Admin

Not so hardcore

Postby DanB » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:30 am

Again, thanks for this wonderful site, which I only discovered recently.

I don't think your diet advice is as hardcore as you fear. It's just that it runs against the grain (pun intended) of the typical American diet. Once you take out toast in the morning, sandwiches at lunch, and pasta for dinner, people realize that they have to significantly reorganize the way they eat. I was already incorporating a lot of fruits and veggies in my diet, but I've become persuaded that eliminating most grains and grain products is in my best interests too (those of you not convinced yet might want to read Gary Taubes book, just out, Good Calories, Bad Calories). It just takes some adjusting and rethinking the way one plans meals.

Return to Nutrition