Simplefit.org • View topic - Intermittent fasting

Intermittent fasting

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

Intermittent fasting

Postby Bri3626 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:41 am

Run into some problems might be associated with this diet. Had some major mood changing and fatigue over the last week and a half. I didn't notice the mood changes so much as my wife has... But when she pointed it out I've also noticed it. Haven't changed a whole lot else other than improving the diet to get rid of the junk. Haven't quite hit that right yet. I missed yesterdays workout cause I fell asleep at 7 and slept till 630 this morning heh. Pretty unusual for me.

Not sure whether I should continue or just try to change over to the 5 meal a day thing. I've done that before with good results, but it's hard with my schedule. I'm pretty much going non-stop 8-10 hours a day. Not allowed to have food back in the area where I work so it's hard to sneak it in-between patients.
Bri3626

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:05 pm

give it a month, you will be better than before after you adjust. You are talking IF right?
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bri3626 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Yep been stickin with it pretty religously for 2 weeks or so.

Work is pretty high stress and long hours too so that may be interfering with it.
Bri3626

Postby Admin » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:53 pm

after 2 weeks of 100% compliance you should be past the blood sugar issues mood tired headaches ect...
Admin
Site Admin

Postby assymassy » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:53 pm

Hey there, I'm new here and had a couple of questions on IF but I thought I'd just post it in this thread as it's basically the same topic.

So first question: if, for example, I train in the evenings and I've chosen to have a 4-9pm feeding window - how would I work around that? should I allow an hour before and after training of no food? If that's the case then basically I'd have just two hours to eat...or should I try and train outside of the feeding window?

Second question: if I wanted to use the sample menu plan posted up on this website could that be used for someone who chooses to do intermittent fasting? if so, how would it work? would you have to squeeze in the three meals during the 5 hour feeding window? ie have 'breakfast' at 4pm and so on...

Thanks.
assymassy

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:55 am

I usually try to work out 1 hr before the start of the feeding window

try to eat 2 or 3 meals withing you 5 hr feeding window so you could eat a meal at

hr 1
hr 3
hr 5
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bri3626 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:25 pm

That has been pretty much what I was doing. Although I usually hit a meal one-half hour before times up. Still plugging away. Having more than a few off days and keep letting temptation sneak in.

Procrastinating on the diary which I think would help a lot. Really like your diet posting Kevin. I go back periodically and look at it to see how it compares to mine.

Thinking about going back to the regular spread of 5-6 small meals a day. Not sure if the hunger is interfering with temptations or just plain bad habits.

It is working to some extent because I've lost 3 % body fat so I know im on the way.
Bri3626

Postby Wil » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:16 pm

This interests me, and as such I have a few questions.

This coming semester I'll only have from about 3:30 until 7:30 every day to have an 'eating cycle'... and of course I need to workout. So, if I work out right when I get home at 3:30, I will only be able to eat from 4:30 until about 7:30 when a class starts. Is this cutting it too little?

Also, I've read where some run (I do a form of HIIT) on their off-workout days while IFing, while others don't. Any opinions on this?

Thanks.
Wil

Postby Admin » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm

"This coming semester I'll only have from about 3:30 until 7:30 every day to have an 'eating cycle'... and of course I need to workout. So, if I work out right when I get home at 3:30, I will only be able to eat from 4:30 until about 7:30 when a class starts. Is this cutting it too little?"

No, the shorter the window the better

"Also, I've read where some run (I do a form of HIIT) on their off-workout days while IFing, while others don't. Any opinions on this?"

With proper nutrition simplefit 3 days a way should get you in great shape but if you want to do more go for it just listen to your body y avoid overt training and tendinitis.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wil » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:45 pm

Well, I don't think just 20 minutes every other day of some sprinting/jogging intervals will cause over training, and I've been doing it for about 6 months now (off and on), and I've yet to get tendinitis or shin splints or anything as such...

Also, one final question: How much do you eat? Before this I was on a 16 block zone diet... so do I eat that much in those couple of hours, or?
Wil

Postby Admin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:21 am

Yes, try to eat your regular level of food during that period. IF is about hormonal sift and switching fuels not cutting calories if you eat to little you can impede recovers and lose lbm and slow the metabolism to much.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wil » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:40 am

So.. the first day wasn't that awful.. headache through most of the day.. but easy enough. Second day I decided to try a workout before I ate.. horrible idea. I was dizzy, nasous, just moving produced a headrush. I ate slowly and then slept for about 30 minutes (or passed out :P), and when I woke up I was fine. Besides that, no headache, no hunger pangs.

So.. does my body eventually get USED to this working out before eating and not producing a sugar drop (or whatever).. or should I eat something before working out?
Wil

Postby Admin » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:25 am

Your body uses sugar as it's primary fuel, in the absence of sugar it will switch to fat during the switch it will be grumpy. Usually it takes about 1-2 weeks.

It is worth it I can now go a very long time without food and it does not effect my concentration, mood or energy level.

If you want ditch the IF stuff and just do the low carb intake from berries, than after you improve your insulin sensitivity implement IF.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gary » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:09 am

Wil wrote:Second day I decided to try a workout before I ate.. horrible idea.
I've only been doing IF for four or five days now, but especially over the past couple of days I've noticed that my workouts have improved quite a bit (I do something every day). When starting out I feel almost invincible, and I don't gas out nearly as quickly as before.

Maybe the rocky first days I pushed myself through caused me to get fat-adapted sooner or something.
Gary

Postby Wil » Tue Jul 31, 2007 3:25 pm

Just thought I'd write an update...

I 'slipped' off IF Sunday because I went out and wasn't able to eat enough food in 3 hours, so later than night I had another meal. Today I worked out before I ate, and the 'come down' wasn't as bad. I sat back for about 20 minutes after I was done and I felt fine. Hopefully soon I won't feel bad at all! :P
Wil

Next

Return to Nutrition