Simplefit.org • View topic - Kevin why do you hate grains and dairy?

Kevin why do you hate grains and dairy?

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

Kevin why do you hate grains and dairy?

Postby Admin » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:08 pm

Ok, I get this all the time. Contrary to popular belief I do not hate grains and dairy my most favorite foods on the planet are chocolate pizza and ice cream, the only problem is when I eat them I pack on fat extremely fast.

Bottom line is this I want to see people succeed. If somebody has been trying to drop weight but having a hard time when they cut grains and dairy for one month they are amazed I have seen this again and again. Often they are also amazed at how their aches and pains go away and how they feel like ^&(*&(* when they start eating them again.

All to often I see people do diet x not get the results they want and assume they cant do it and give up. I push the no grains and dairy thing because with strict adherence it 90% guarantees success and then people know they can do it and how and then slowly add the foods they cant live without back in.

Guess I should note I am 100% dairy/grain/legume free, I was doing bi weekly cheat days but recently cut them as well.
Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Admin
Site Admin

my thoughts on dairy...

Postby NatureDoc » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:21 am

I don't actually think dairy should be ingested by humans, at all, ever. Don't get me wrong, cheese is my favorite. But if you think about it, humans are the only crazy animals on the planet that a) drink milk past infancy and b) drink another animals milk. For the most part I don't consider all things that exist in nature to be natural, and/or healthy. It's more important to consider what you SEE in nature as opposed to what exists in nature. Another example can be seen in animals when they drink or eat. They do just that. They do one or the other, not both at the same time. It's not the wisest choice to drink while you eat, as the fluid dilutes ones digestive enzymes, which can make your body pretty cranky about the food you just inhaled. But I digress.

The other reason is dairy is an inflammatory food. It's not just about lactose intolerance (lacking the enzyme lactase to break down the lactose into galactose and glucose which your body can then use for fuel, or store as glycogen or fat), which we hear so much about. It's actually about dairy irritating the gastrointestinal lining, such that little pores are created in the matrix that glues enterocytes (gut cells) together. This causes something called "leaky gut syndrome" in which big, not-fully digested protein molecules, can enter the blood stream. The body does not recognize these proteins and starts creating antibodies against them as if they were a virus! This sets up a whole cascade of inflammation and deposition of immune complexes which can cause a myriad of symptoms including headaches, sinusitis, seasonal allergies, eczema, acne, menstrual cramps, gas, bloating, abdominal pain, brain fog, ADD, ADHD, depression, and asthma.

Also, the protein casein in dairy has been found on the opiate receptors in the brain!!! This means that this protein is triggering the same neurochemical response in the brain that say, morphine, heroine, or codeine do!!! Talk about a dairy addiction!!! When we don't supply dairy to the body, we go into a state of withdrawal, and to feel "normal" we need to consume it. It's amazing though when you eliminate certain problem foods including dairy how "normal"/better you actually feel. The neuroendocrine system in the body adapts so that it does not constantly send the same incoming signal to the brain. So only by removing a stimulus is the body able to acknowledge how it feels with or with out that stimulus (in this case the dairy). We are often addicted to foods we are allergic to.

... and lastly, because it's time for my cardio, if you're worried about getting your 1000-1200 mg of calcium in a day eat almonds, spinach or other green leafy veggies. I track my daily intake at fitday.com, and never come up short in Ca, and don't eat dairy. A great nutrition website I recommend is whfoods.com. Besides the best thing one can do for their bone health is weight bearing exercise.

Ok, I'm done! I'm curious to know other's thoughts...

Tonia
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:29 am

Great stuff thintonia!

Here is some good stuff from Dr. Loren Cordain who I have allot of respect for on Calcium and Bones you may find interesting

How can I get enough calcium to build strong bones if I cut down or eliminate dairy foods and replace them with fruits and vegetables?

I heard or read recently that high-protein diets are detrimental to bone health. Is this true and how does it occur? Will The Paleo Diet damage my bones or give me osteoporosis?

In the U.S. calcium intake is one of the highest in the world, yet paradoxically we also have one of the highest rates of bone de-mineralization (osteoporosis). Bone mineral content is dependent not just upon calcium intake but upon net calcium balance (calcium intake minus calcium excretion). Most nutritionists focus upon the calcium intake side of the calcium balance equation, however few realize that the calcium excretion side of the equation is just as important.

Bone health is substantially dependent on dietary acid/base balance. All foods upon digestion ultimately must report to the kidney as either acid or base. When the diet yields a net acid load (such as low-carb fad diets that restrict consumption of fruits and vegetables), the acid must be buffered by the alkaline stores of base in the body. Calcium salts in the bones represent the largest store of alkaline base in the body and are depleted and eliminated in the urine when the diet produces a net acid load. The highest acid-producing foods are hard cheeses, cereal grains, salted foods, meats, and legumes, whereas the only alkaline, base-producing foods are fruits and vegetables. Because the average American diet is overloaded with grains, cheeses, salted processed foods, and fatty meats at the expense of fruits and vegetables, it produces a net acid load and promotes bone de-mineralization. By replacing hard cheeses, cereal grains, and processed foods with plenty of green vegetables and fruits, the body comes back into acid/base balance which brings us also back into calcium balance.

The Paleo Diet recommends an appropriate balance of acidic and basic (alkaline) foods (i.e., lean meats, fish and seafood, fruits, and vegetables) and will not cause osteoporosis in otherwise healthy individuals. Indeed, The Paleo Diet promotes bone health.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:41 am

Fiber, Cereals, and Grains

Aren't whole grains good sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins? How can I get these nutrients if I cut down or eliminate grains from my diet?

On a calorie-by-calorie basis, whole grains are lousy sources of fiber, minerals, and B vitamins when compared to the lean meats, seafood, and fresh fruit and veggies that dominate The Paleo Diet. For example, a 1,000-calorie serving of fresh fruits and vegetables has between two and seven times as much fiber as does a comparable serving of whole grains. In fruits and veggies most of the fiber is heart-healthy, soluble fiber that lowers cholesterol levels -- the same cannot be said for the insoluble fiber that is predominant in most whole grains. A 1,000-calorie serving of whole grain cereal contains 15 times less calcium, three times less magnesium, 12 times less potassium, six times less iron, and two times less copper than a comparable serving of fresh vegetables. Moreover, whole grains contain a substance called phytate that almost entirely prevents the absorption of any calcium, iron, or zinc that is found in whole grains, whereas the type of iron, zinc, and copper found in lean meats and seafood is in a form that is highly absorbed.

Compared to fruits and veggies, cereal grains are B-vitamin lightweights. An average 1,000 serving of mixed vegetables contain 19 times more folate, five times more vitamin B6, six times more vitamin B2 and two times more vitamin B1 than a comparable serving of eight mixed whole grains. On a calorie-by-calorie basis, the niacin content of lean meat and seafood is four times greater than that found in whole grains. Click here to read more about cereal grains.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:48 am

You can download all his published research articles here free

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/published_research/

Really great stuff IMHO enjoy

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fizzleboink » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:57 pm

Hmmmm I think I need to adjust my diet some more. I love grains and cheese so much... :(

I don't drink milk though.
fizzleboink

Postby BigOkie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:15 am

Hey! What's the deal with legumes? I'm I right these include beans and peanuts? This is the first I've heard of this.
BigOkie

Postby NatureDoc » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:25 am

Hey Dan

Yepperoonies. Peanuts and beans are legumes. Did you want more info about legumes? This thread discusses them a bit more I think. But let us know if you have any more questions about them!

http://www.simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=597&highlight=vegetarian

OOoh... I like your tag. Impossible is an opinion. Yessirie. That's up there for me with you choose how you feel. Nicers!

Tonia
NatureDoc
Advanced Member

Return to Nutrition