• View topic - Fat cells don't ever go away?

Fat cells don't ever go away?

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

Fat cells don't ever go away?

Postby kdo463 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:45 pm

So, I was chatting with someone at work the other day, who is studying to be a chiropractor or something. She said that when we "get fat" our bodies create new fat cells. But when we "burn" fat our fat cells don't actually go away, they just shrink. She said the only way to get rid of fat cells is to physically remove them with liposuction. That's why after losing lots of weight, it's so easy to gain it back on when our habits slide. Has anyone ever heard of that before?? I.e., is it true? If so, that's pretty scary! Like the deck is stacked against us. :shock:

Postby scumdogg » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:09 pm

I don't have a physiology background either so can't say if it's true or not, but I've heard the same thing. Perhaps NatureDoc could offer some insight?

Postby dgkimpton » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:10 pm

Interesting... never heard it before, but if true it means we should all be moving heaven and earth to ensure our kids never get fat!

Postby Maleficarum » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:08 pm

from what i understand... just because your body increases the overall number of fat cells when you get fat... that doesnt mean they do anything if you return to a "normal" weight range.

Return to Nutrition