Page 1 of 1
Can you out work any diet
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:06 am
When we were kids we could eat almost anything. Now we obsess over every calorie. Assuming most of us eat too much and not the "right" foods can we out work our faults. I know that the harder one works, the more food as well as rest is needed for recovery but can the balance be found for almost any sane diet. Can this balance be sustained better than we can control limited intake. I am not talking about extremes rather what most would perceive as normal-can we out work that diet at any age.
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:37 am
That's a good discussion point. During my recent weight loss, I didn't cut anything out, I just made a point of watching portion size. I really learned quite a bit about which foods I could eat a bunch of and which ones I really needed to portion out. Like some of the trail mixes I got were 250 calories for a 1/4 cup! In the past, I could easily have eaten two cups of trail mix pretty quick and that 1000 calories puts a dent in the weight loss plans.
I am interested in the nutrition plan mentioned here at simplefit but I just haven't gotten around to reading much about it yet. I'm sure it's beneficial but right now I'm sticking to what is working. I've been eating at about 60% carbs, 25% protein and 15% fats. When I've lost weight in the past, it has usually involved cutting out a bunch of stuff I enjoy. I'm happier this time and don't see any roadblocks that would cause me to fall off the wagon since I still eat everything I enjoy but watch my total daily calories. I do think it has been easier for me.
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:14 pm
so you could out work food types by portioning. Could you out work portions by more work?
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:18 am
In my experience it is easier to out diet poor training than to out train poor diet
Here is good info http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:25 am
I also have read articles like this and recognize that a diet has to be in some normal range of acceptability. If I do not violate this norm what is the range of acceptable diets. I was reading one of the work out logs today which asserted that the individual had gained significant lean mass, lost noteworthy fat and improved in both strength and endurance. Most fat loss or muscle mass gurus state that to lose fat you need a caloric deficit usually they site 500cals, to gain you need a caloric surplus 500cals above resting need and that unless you are genetically gifted both muscle gain and fat loss can not occur simulataneously. It just seems we are too quick to accept assertions. I do concur that to lose a large amount of fat dietary attention at the lower end of this "range" is prudent and 500cals below resting rate is an excellent guage but the question I am posing is can you foray into the upper end of the range above resting caloric need or at it, work harder and achieve the results similar to those of the individual above.
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:50 am
I went over some of that at the bottom of this post
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:48 am
I have mentioned before in a few post that I have noticed strength, endurance, and pure muscle mass gains while losing body fat. It has just been over a month of SimpleFit and the changes in my body composition and performance have surprised me endlessly. I went to the hospital today for a regular check-up. Three months ago when I had just started getting somewhat serious about nutrition along with smarter exercising, I weighed in at 171 (at the hospital). My waist size was 31 or 30 and I had about 11% body fat. Today, at the hospital I weighed in at 173 pounds. My waist size is between 28-29. Body fat is hovering around 7-8%. Only conclusions I draw from my situation is I have put on two pounds of lean muscle in 3 months (Wonder how only one month of SimpleFit affected this). Conventional wisdom would dictate it quite possible to lose body fat while restricting calories and do the opposite with more than maintenance calories. I don't seem to fit that formula. Since starting SimpleFit my average daily caloric intake has increased to 3000 calories a day. I have continued to lose body fat and my strength gains have increased (not excluding, I have more muscle mass). I attribute all to the SimpleFit protocol including the Paleo style eating. Diet/Recovery have 60% to do with performance and body composition in my opinion. Exercise and other variables account for the other 40%.
Note: I eat about 80-90% Paleo everyday, with Zoneish guidelines, you can see what I eat in my Fitday log.
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:56 pm
Thanks Kevin and NR (sic) I appreciate the discourse. I am only a little overweight but my reason for working out is I am sick of worrying about diet.
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:57 pm
Actually that is incomplete, if I can stay the course I really want to do Murph as a tribute on Memoprial Day next spring.