Simplefit.org • View topic - You are what you eat. Seriously.

You are what you eat. Seriously.

Natural Nutrition

Moderator: cheapo

You are what you eat. Seriously.

Postby agoodlysize » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:38 pm

I know a number of you folks are proponents of the Paleo Diet, and while I see the validity of the idea behind it, I am wary of adopting any diet that proposes a dramatic change of what one eats in the capacity of complete exclusion of any particular ( for lack of a better term) "food group'. We are omnivores, adaptable in the extreme. I find the vilification of bread and pasta, two really wonderful, wholesome foods very silly, and the way that we as Americans eat just messed up in general.
The moral of the story is I picked up this book, "The Omnivore's Dilemna", and it is a truly eye-opening account of where food comes from and how what we eat is intrinsically connected to who we are. It will change the way you look at your food and what "healthy" eating is.

This kind of reads like an advertisement, but rest assured I am just a big foodie, and I find this stuff fascinating. I think a lot of times the act of eating is reduced to a utilitarian act, fuel for a well-oiled machine. To be fair, it is that, but it is also a wonderful thing that when carefully considered and well executed, can rank among the great spiritual joys of life.

Just a thought.

Find the book here.
agoodlysize

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:10 pm

I personally do allot better without grains but to each his own if they work for you great.

I do like to challenge people to go off of them for 3 months if they can do it and watch what happens to body comp and performance you might be surprised.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jacob » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:53 am

Funny, I have that book sitting on the shelf right next to me. Maybe its time I finally crack it open!

Jacob
Jacob

Postby agoodlysize » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:58 pm

Oh man, upon further reading, grains aren't looking so good.

The book is essentially about tracing the respective food chains of modern aggro-business (corn and everything thing that it makes, from beef cattle to high-fructose syrup) modern industrial organic (much closer to the former than it should be), management intensive farming (simulating a much healthier eco-system that makes for much healthier, tastier and responsible eating) and finally, a hunter-gatherer meal comprised of things he grew, foraged and killed himself. Remarkable stuff. Seems the only reason we stopped the whole hunter-gatherer thing in the first place is because we were over-hunting; food became scarce and we had to turn elsewhere. So maybe the paleo-diet isn't so bad.

Just have a bowl of pasta every once in a while. It'll do your soul good. :D
agoodlysize

Postby skustes » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 am

As Kevin said, try a full elimination before ruling grains good or bad for you. It is worth mentioning though that there is no such thing as an unprocessed grain. Even "whole grains" are processed as you cannot just go pick up a stalk of wheat and chow down.
skustes

Postby splint » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:15 am

I've been doing the Warrior Diet over the past 10 days and I've really limited my carbs to only fruits and vegetables. I noticed that when I screw up and eat cereal, bread, or pasta I feel bloated and groggy for a long time after.

I never thought I had a problem with carbs, and that's probably trues because it's really only the grain carbs that make me feel that way. Although I will say the less processed, the less effect it has on me, like a bowl of steel-cut oats don't seem to do it as much as say, a hamburger roll.

When i don't eat grains, my energy is through the roof.
splint

Postby agoodlysize » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Let me clarify.

You are correct- our bodies are not really calibrated to gather nutrition from grain. It is evolutionary. Our bodies have not caught up with our culture. The agricultural revolution took our metabolism by surprise.

My point is more spiritual. Home-made bread is good. To eat. Good for our souls, for our spiritual well-being. Same with pasta. All I'm trying to say is that food should, on occasion, be more than just fuel for our bodies. It is a universal experience that can represent and fulfill so much more than just physical needs.

More a philosophical point, I suppose. I was trying to foster discussion on that point. If this is not appropriate for this forum, please feel free to move the thread.

Just a thought.
agoodlysize

Postby splint » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:49 am

I hear you. I love me some homemade bread. I used to get this garlic bread from a local bakery that had whole garlic cloves baked inside of it. the loaf was the size of a football and I'd get about a pint of hummus and eat the entire thing. Hmm, probably no coincidence that this was mainly when I was single.
splint

Postby agoodlysize » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:05 pm

That's what I'm saying! It's not the best for you, but if you have a healthy relationship with food I think it can fulfill you in ways that reach well beyond just nutrition.

PS splint- I just realized that your name is an MST3K reference. Well done, sir.
agoodlysize

Postby splint » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:49 am

Big McLargehuge!

Oh, man, I love that show.
splint

Postby agoodlysize » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:50 pm

My friends still call me Big McLargehuge.

PS- Crud Bonemeal!
Last edited by agoodlysize on Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agoodlysize

Postby splint » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm going to make this my homepage.
splint

Postby agoodlysize » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:57 pm

Thread officially derailed... need to get it back on track...

FOOD IS GOOD. DISCUSS!

That should do it.
agoodlysize

Return to Nutrition