Simplefit.org • View topic - Some tables generated from workout log data

Some tables generated from workout log data

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Some tables generated from workout log data

Postby Norman » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Hello Simplefitters,

I have spent some evenings working on a tool that generates some tables from workout log data.

The javascript tool is here : http://reservoir.progs.free.fr/simplefit/graph.html

NOTA BENE : It won't work in Internet Explorer, I have only tested it on Firefox 2.

Anyway, the resulting tables can be seen here : http://reservoir.progs.free.fr/simplefit/results.html

Big caveat : the code is not exactly nice and I am no javascript expert.... There is much cleanup to do, bugs to correct and I have more ideas but I thought I'd share it with you all to see if it makes sense.

If it does make sense then ideally such a tool would access workout log entries to generate the tables dynamically. Of course this means the data would have to be structured in a specific way in the user's log. Such as : [23MAR2007-L1D2:3min28s] or something.

Anyway, it's just a hack, tell me what you think.
Norman

Postby ucffool » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:50 am

I took a brief work at it, and it provides a custom report with a bunch of extra details. I need to look into it further. Also, I can tell you the format of data in the database itself so it allows some quick adjustments (though some quick php can convert to the formatting you are using).
Date/time info is stored in standard MySQL DATETIME format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS and rounds is a basic integer, while time is converted to seconds for storage, converted back for display. I can see, after some bug testing, adding a 'full report' option from the workout log page.
ucffool

Postby Norman » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi Andy,

thanks for your feedback !

I took a brief work at it, and it provides a custom report with a bunch of extra details. I need to look into it further. Also, I can tell you the format of data in the database itself so it allows some quick adjustments (though some quick php can convert to the formatting you are using).
Date/time info is stored in standard MySQL DATETIME format YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS and rounds is a basic integer, while time is converted to seconds for storage, converted back for display. I can see, after some bug testing, adding a 'full report' option from the workout log page.

Is the date captured by your workout log tool ? Hey, by the way how many people use this tool ?

These tables could easily be reprogrammed in another language by the way. I must say I like the idea of capturing the data directly from the workout log user entry.

Hmm, I need to workout now :)
Norman

Postby ucffool » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:20 pm

yup, datetime, rounds, time (in seconds) is all captured in the tool. Date order is how it determines the layout of the workout log table (the one you click to display) and in hte comparison with others, it is used to keep 'active' users as part of the comparison.

I don't know how many are using the workout log, I'm waiting on Kevin's life to slow down a bit and then I can replicate a copy of the database to possibly add some other features and also take a look at the data. I will say that, on average, I usually saw about 20-25 entries a day, and guessed about 40-50 people were actively using it. This was two months ago.

If you can adapt the code to work off of the formats I gave you, I can work on adapting the code to pulling it from the database directly, so that someone could get the full output by clicking a link on the workoutlog page.
ucffool

Hey

Postby Norman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:26 am

yup, datetime, rounds, time (in seconds) is all captured in the tool. Date order is how it determines the layout of the workout log table (the one you click to display) and in hte comparison with others, it is used to keep 'active' users as part of the comparison.

Which date is captured, the day when the workout log is accessed, isn't that right ?

I don't know how many are using the workout log, I'm waiting on Kevin's life to slow down a bit and then I can replicate a copy of the database to possibly add some other features and also take a look at the data. I will say that, on average, I usually saw about 20-25 entries a day, and guessed about 40-50 people were actively using it. This was two months ago.

Cool !

If you can adapt the code to work off of the formats I gave you, I can work on adapting the code to pulling it from the database directly, so that someone could get the full output by clicking a link on the workoutlog page.

I am sure it can be adapted, I would need a dump or something to get started. Which programming language can I use ? Javascript is a bit frustrating really.

But I must say I liked the idea of capturing the workout data directly from the user's workout. Then there is only one single data entry.

The process could be :

Process (user log entries) -> Create (database) -> (whatever tools we can write)
Norman

Postby ucffool » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:56 pm

The date used is when you click 'submit' in the workout log, that is the datetime stamp.

I need to look over your code a bit, but I'm not a javascript expert (barely a beginner), I do things in php.
Process (user log entries) -> Create (database) -> (whatever tools we can write)

The first two steps exist, that is how the graphs are made. This would simply use the same data. I'm not sure what has to change other than a little bit of code to gather the info for your tool, and adapting your tool to take the datetime format from the database (though as I said, a quick php function will change it to what you use now).
ucffool

Return to fitness community