Introduction

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

coine

Introduction

Post by coine » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi guys. It seems like the admin (Kevin?) is pulling up a real community of fitness newbies like myself here.

So I figured it would be a nice idea to introduce ourselves. I'll get the ball rolling with myself.

My name is Mirko, I'm 23 years old and I live in Switzerland. I was born here, but I lived in California between ages 5 and 10 and went to elementary school there, which is why my English is better than that of the average Swiss citizen. ;)

I first decided to get into shape a good while ago, but I've been searching for a good, low budget, fitness program to follow. I'm happy to say that I believe to have found it in Simplefit (and hopefully Crossfit in good time). I'm also pleased with myself for the progress I've already made in the time before I found this site. A year ago, I was unable to do a pullup or more than a few pushups, and the idea of running more than a few minutes was unthinkable. Then I realised that I had this huge potential to live a healthy life with a healthy body and started working out. My training log (here) shows that I've made considerable progress since then.

A bit of physical background on myself: I've always been taller than most other people my age, and until 4 years ago I seemed unable to gain weight although I was eating a lot. I'm currently 193 cm (6'3") and about 90 kg (198 pounds), which according to the BMI are pretty close to my ideal weight. Of course I'm now trying to enter a world of health where the BMI doesn't apply anymore due to the differences in weight of fat and muscle.

I've been living on a vegetarian diet for the best part of my life for various differing reasons. The first time I ate a piece of either meat or fish was when I was 19, and I have not been overly tempted to switching to an omnivore diet since.

I finished school over 4 years ago. In the time since then, I've been keeping myself busy with various odd jobs and auto-didactic education as well as military service (Of sorts; that's a story in itself.). I'm currently unemployed but set to perform civil service in the summer.

That's me in a nutshell. Let's get to know each other a bit, after all we're in this together. :D

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:13 pm

Welcome!

jamin

Post by jamin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 pm

Bonjourno,

I grew up in the UK, left there when I finished my GCSE's (16) and came to vancouver island in Canada with the family and finished my last 2 years of school in high school. Now I am 21 and at university studying for a degree in physical geography - hydrology, and i'm very interested in ecology also.
I am fairly active, and I was very active up until I left the UK as I am a surfer, and that took up most of my time. I still surf now but not as often due to the drive and being busy. I also play footy (soccer) and I am about to take up kung fu - wing chun.
I found this site after looking at an article about the training exercises used for the cast in 300 - very impressive. I have never been a fan of using weights to bulk up, as it seems like a relatively impractical body condition, unless u like to lift objects. To me an ideal body is one that is strong but at the same time flexible and versatile. I am interested in using methods that are simplistic in nature and more natural - that our bodies have evolved for.
I hope I can discipline myself to continue this regime and perhaps advance techniques when i become fitter.
What exactly are the results of simplefit's training and diet? I would imagine it pertains to a loss of fat and development of intermediate and slow muscle fibers that will give you more strength and longevity, as well as a more toned definition?

Cheers

supernova

Re: Introduction

Post by supernova » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:36 am

coine wrote: which according to the BMI are pretty close to my ideal weight. Of course I'm now trying to enter a world of health where the BMI doesn't apply anymore due to the differences in weight of fat and muscle.
is there any version of a home BMI calculator out there that will take muscle build into consideration eg add biceps, chest etc etc measurements into the equation?

thanks