Simplefit.org • View topic - What should my expectations be?

What should my expectations be?

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

What should my expectations be?

Postby nobody » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:00 pm

So I recently moved a ways from my gym and I'm going maybe 5 days a week anymore. I'm in my 20's, 5'10", and 155lbs. I'm pretty lean but I have a tiny bit of flab around the mid section (which I could probably run off if I was super worried about it).

Anyway I'm just kind of curious what the expected results are for someone with my body type if I stick with this for a few months. I'm trying to bulk up a little bit, not a lot, but since I quit going to the gym my chest has shrunk and my biceps are pretty much gone. Not that I'm that worried about it, health is more important, but you know.

So is this a full body workout? I ride my bike pretty much everywhere I go within 5 miles and am concerned that my thighs are weirdly large in comparison to the rest of my body so I am curious if body weight exercises are enough to start to even that out.

Sorry if these are stupid or repeat questions. Thanks!
nobody

Postby ianjb » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:56 am

Hi,

I'm a lot older than you but it sounds like our body shape is very similar. I cycle a lot and my legs are in good shape. I had very little upper body strength when I started SF last September. I'm now on level 3, soon to level up to level 4. My upper body strength has improved dramatically. I could not do a single dead hang pull up and only a few push ups. Now I can do 30 rounds on Day 1 of level 3 which amounts to 60 pull ups, 90 push ups and 150 squats in 20 minutes. My weight has dropped a couple of pounds but my upper body definition has improved.

I'm guessing you will find the squats easy. Be careful with the push ups and pull ups, it is very easy to get tendon related injuries if you push too hard. The regulars around here caution people to only do the SF routines until their body has adapted to the SF routine. I ignored their good advice and had problems with first my left elbow and later my right elbow ...

Welcome and enjoy. This is a great community.
ianjb

Re: What should my expectations be?

Postby zorg » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:21 am

nobody wrote:I'm trying to bulk up a little bit,...

They say that if you want to get bigger, eat more :)

So is this a full body workout?

It definitely is. Don't worry if body part X is more defined right now than body part Y. Just go with the program, use a full range of movement on the exercises, and you'll see whole-body results.

Welcome!
zorg

Postby nobody » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:29 am

Thank you both for your replies. I'm going to order a pull-up bar this weekend from Amazon and get started mid-next week I think.

Might finally pull the cord on the gym membership today.

Looking forward to getting started and I'll be sure to post results.
nobody

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 am

Welcome and good luck!
volleyball_man

Postby scumdogg » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:06 pm

I think the general consensus is that simple fit definitely delivers. Since I had trained before and had retained some of that before starting simple fit I can't speak too much about simple fit's effectiveness to "bulk" you up. But keep this in mind, if you are 160 pounds yet lean and defined, you will look more "powerful" than a 200 pound guy who is carrying a layer of fat. I weigh less than when I was just weight training but I look more fit and powerful than I did back then.
scumdogg

Return to fitness community