Simplefit.org • View topic - Hi!! Newbie here - with very little upper body strength

Hi!! Newbie here - with very little upper body strength

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

Hi!! Newbie here - with very little upper body strength

Postby arqrla » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi everybody!!

I found simplefit through cheapo's post in Mark Sisson's page. I'm really trying to switch my fitness routine from my chronic cardio ways, and this option sounds fantastic :mrgreen: . However... the pull ups are an issue for me. I'm not able to do any of the alternative exercises... I almost broke a table trying to do inverted rows :cry:

Are there any other options for me to do? Shall I just do push-ups and squats? Thanks in advance for your help, and I look forward to getting started
arqrla

Re: Hi!! Newbie here - with very little upper body strength

Postby arqrla » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:33 pm

I guess I should go and look for support somewhere else
arqrla

Postby smooth » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:44 pm

When you say that pull-ups are an issue for you...do you mean you can't do them at all? Or don't have access to a pull-up bar?

You have consulted this, right? http://www.simplefit.org/pullup.html You've tried the non-body row substitutions?

Welcome by the way!
smooth

Postby cheapo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:23 am

Inverted rows under a table sounds like no fun at all.

Body rows can be about as easy as you want them to be.
If you have a pull-up bar, consider getting suspending some rings, pommels, or other grip from the bar for use with the rows. To make inverted rows easier, keep yourself more upright.

Do something like this:

instead of this:

As you get stronger, you can work your way into the more horizontal rowing position.

And like smooth said: Welcome!
cheapo

Postby scumdogg » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:50 pm

Do not give up on pullups/chinups. Your back is the second largest muscle group after your legs so do not neglect it. If you don't have the strength to do a pullup then do the subs, like smooth and cheapo have suggested. On the body rows concentrate on using your back to pull you and not your arms. It helps to imagine trying to squeeze something between your shoulder blades, or trying to elbow someone who is standing behind you to get the right motion. This carries over into pullups where you imagine pushing down with your elbows instead of pulling with your arms.

If you can't do pullups because you don't have the equipment then buy some or build some. Many people on this board have bought the door gym. I've never used one but have heard it works well. I went to Home Depot and bought $20 of pipe and built a chinup bar in my back porch. I've also seen people make chinup bars out of a section of pipe with some chain or nylon webbing run through it and then hang it from hooks screwed into rafters. If you need help figuring out a way to do chinups/bodyrows give us more information.
scumdogg

Return to fitness community