Simplefit.org • View topic - How do I get more people to use this site?

How do I get more people to use this site?

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

How do I get more people to use this site?

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:50 pm

If anybody has any idea's I am all ears.
If you like the site and know a good way to get the word out let me know, I would like to see hundreds of people posting their logs.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby samjackson » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:44 pm

"If you build it, they will come." Be patient. Word of mouth is the very best advertising. It seems like a core group is developing which will sustain things.

Without being a pain in the ass, I would keep pointing people here from the crossfit site. You've created a very good entry point to crossfit and they should find this site complementary to theirs', IMO.
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:47 pm

Thanks for the encouragement!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Brandon » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:40 am

Make a submission to:

projects.metafilter.com
lifehacker.com

Also, you could create a small simplefit tag image (like the ones used to show that a site is running apache) that could be inserted in user sigs on other boards or user web pages.
Brandon

Patience

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:38 am

I think patience is the key. I think it will catch on.

Do you have any connection with the crossfit people? See if they'll push the information about this site a little closer to the front.

If you can get us to do some before/after pics, user success stories, satisfied customer quotes and the like that might give you some promotional material.
volleyball_man

Postby magus269 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:15 pm

Patience is important like others have said. But what about just going through the myriad of bodybuilding, nutrition, etc., forums that exist and mentioning it there? I think the idea of being able to do your workouts at home has alot of appeal (it did to me anyways). Maybe you could advertise on their sites as well with a banner or something. Also, I would emphasize the use of a stopwatch....that to me is key. It has helped me to get some really hard work on my own without someone else having to push me along.

Also, adding in a variety of different excercises like you just recently did helps alot too. Maybe even have like up to 21 (or however many) different workout "days" that we can mix and match to keep our bodies guessing. I know you mentioned rings are really good tools so some excercises utilizing those would be great.
magus269

Thoughts

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:25 am

First - does phpbb have a live chat/IM system? If so, how about a scheduled chat session?

Also, one of the best things about this site is: not only the reactions and support from other members, but from you Kevin (Admin). If this site grows too much more - you won't be able to keep up with it. Find a member or two you can verify and trust to help you mentor people.
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Thanks for all the great ideas and encouragement!

Vbm no chat system, but feel free to pm or email me with any other ideas you may have.

Cheers
Admin
Site Admin

Postby jcarroll11 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:57 am

Hey Kevin,

You are doing things right. The site is easy to follow, so that is a bonus to everyone that comes by.
Seeing as this is a site for crossfit beginners (that is my thought only) you will get most of your users from there. I think if you you start pushing this at weight lifting sites, you are going to get laughed at. BB's don't understand the benefits of bodyweight excersises :lol: , they are all about "how much can you bench?"
I belong to an online running community, i will add this site to my sig line there.
be patient grasshopper, this site will grow
jcarroll11

Postby riot » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:50 pm

Brandon wrote:Also, you could create a small simplefit tag image (like the ones used to show that a site is running apache) that could be inserted in user sigs on other boards or user web pages.

This would be cool. If you have an idea of a logo, tag, or icon, I could use my meager photoshop skills to possibly help make something.
riot

Postby Admin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:33 pm

That would be cool, I am still trying to figure out where to configure it in apache though. Never done this before.

Thanks!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby volleyball_man » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:51 am

I think that what is meant by the tag is just a "button" or image thing. You could offer for people to put the tag to your site on their web-pages. I suggest going with the look and feel of the main page. If you dig around you'll find tons of examples - no reconfig of apache is required for this.
volleyball_man

Postby samjackson » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Kevin,
You may want to visit the Fitness forum on [url]craigslist.org[/url]. I took a quick look at the regional forum for Central NJ and there are folks there that would benefit from this. I posted the simplefit url there, but as I said, it was for the CNJ forum audience, not the entire craigslist audience.
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 pm

Cool, thanks for the heads up. I will start posting around.

Cheers!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby riot » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:49 am

riot wrote:
Brandon wrote:Also, you could create a small simplefit tag image (like the ones used to show that a site is running apache) that could be inserted in user sigs on other boards or user web pages.

This would be cool. If you have an idea of a logo, tag, or icon, I could use my meager photoshop skills to possibly help make something.

Here's something I came up with yesterday afternoon...

Code for showing the image plus being a link:
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.simplefit.org][IMG]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/riot1980/simplefit.gif[/IMG][/url]

[url=http://www.simplefit.org][IMG]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j280/riot1980/simplefit2.gif[/IMG][/url]

Right now the images are just coming off of my account on Photobucket.com. If Kevin happens to host it here, then obviously this code will change.
riot

Next

Return to fitness community