Simplefit.org • View topic - just starting-my background and questions

just starting-my background and questions

body weight exercise community

Moderator: cheapo

just starting-my background and questions

Postby aburnett » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:21 pm

Hey Kevin!

Awesome site and amazing pictures of your change from before simple fit. I just started and just wanted some guidance on a few things.

I'm almost 30 and am 5'10 and weigh 154. I'm relatively active, at least walking most days. What are some practical goals for me? I know I need to have measurable goals. Definitely a pull up, ability to do 50 proper push ups, losing 10-15 pounds, and being fit. Are these ok? What is a reasonable time frame if I'm consistent with this to be able to do a pull up?

I love to eat and typically eat healthy if possible. I also kind of eat whatever I want. I love ice cream, fruits, and veggies. I don't know if it is feasible to eat whatever I want. Are you recommending more of a low carb diet?

Today I did L1D1- 24 rounds, my initial sub pull ups were pretty good, but later my form got worse. I wasn't able to go down slow. I tried doing the body rows some with a mini workout towel, but didn't feel they were doing anything for me. Do you just pull your body toward the pole using the form you had in the picture? I feel I didn't go as fast as I could, but I was trying to concentrate on my form at least initially.

I'm getting calluses just from yesterday trying out form and kind of warming up and then today doing L1D1. Will gloves help that?

Is there a place where I can post my eating, my work out log, and everything in one easy place?

I'm excited at the idea of being strong and fit and without having to lift weights and continuing this thru my life.

Thanks for your help! :D
aburnett

Re: just starting-my background and questions

Postby taifun » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi!

I'm not Kevin, but I still manage to stick my nose in everywhere!

First of all, welcome, and congratulations on getting started with Simplefit!

aburnett wrote:I'm almost 30 and am 5'10 and weigh 154. I'm relatively active, at least walking most days. What are some practical goals for me? I know I need to have measurable goals. Definitely a pull up, ability to do 50 proper push ups, losing 10-15 pounds, and being fit. Are these ok? What is a reasonable time frame if I'm consistent with this to be able to do a pull up?

Those seem like fairly reasonable goals, not very dissimilar from my own. I'm not sure about the weight loss, as I'm not really into that, but I'm sure Kevin will chime in. As for the other goals, the time frame would depend strongly on your current status. How many pushups can you do right now? As for pull-ups, go see Andy's log, or Vbm's (or mine for that matter) for semi-thrilling stories on achieving the pull-up (I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that spring to mind right now)

Do you just pull your body toward the pole using the form you had in the picture? I feel I didn't go as fast as I could, but I was trying to concentrate on my form at least initially.

Try lowering your angle if the rows are too easy.

I'm getting calluses just from yesterday trying out form and kind of warming up and then today doing L1D1. Will gloves help that?

Gloves will help, but time and practice will as well. The calluses will go away. Use some sort of moisturiser (translation)
taifun

Postby aussiechick » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:14 pm

Hi Aburnett!

I'm not Kevin either, obviously, but I wanted to say welcome!

I think your goals sound great. Also about the calluses gloves would definitely help but I kinda like mine - they feel a little like a badge of honour :wink:

It took me a while to "get" the bodyrow concept too, and this may not be your problem so feel free to ignore me, but ucffool posted a good pic to demonstrate using the steeper angle as taifun suggested. I'll go see if I can find it and work out how to post a link :roll:

Bec
Last edited by aussiechick on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aussiechick

Postby aussiechick » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:30 pm

Ok found a link Kevin posted which looks good - hope this works

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah ... eight.html
aussiechick

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:01 am

Hi aburnett - welcome!

taifun gave you some answers very similar to what mine would be.

Are you male or female?

Re: your goals - I had as my first goal a single pullup. My expectation was that it would take several months to a year. If you've read my workout log (recommended) then you'll see my pleasant surprise. I have a personal record (PR) of 20 in one workout(not in a row - yet) - roughly 3 months in. Does this translate directly to you? Not a question worth the time it takes to consider the answer for 5 seconds! Where your 154 lbs is, what your history is, how you train, your diet... The list of variables is huge. My attitude is shoot high aim low. Keep your expectations at a reasonable enough level that failure is not definite but try to achieve something beyond those expectations when you work.

If I look back on my progress, I find that being willing to tweak what I'm doing helped a lot - especially in the beginning. My choices for how to tweak were based on prior knowledge, reading recommended materials, following the advice of some of the others in here, trying, adapting and changing, but none of these without listening to my own body.

For the pullups - bodyrows, negatives, bodyrows, planks, and bodyrows. Oh, don't forget bodyrows.

Re: callouses - I am damn proud of mine!

Definitely read our workout logs for inspiration (and a laugh or two). Find people who have a lot of posts and see where they started and where they are now. Also find some you feel are near the same level/capabilities as you are in the process and watch their logs as you move.

You have the rest of your life to get to 1000 pullups nonstop.

Post your workouts in the workout log thread and ask questions. Don't take all advise as order. Be in charge of your own progress.
Last edited by volleyball_man on Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
volleyball_man

Postby taifun » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:18 am

You have the rest of your life to get to 1000 pullups nonstop.

You just had to say that, didn't you?
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:51 am

What is time? What is number?
volleyball_man

Postby taifun » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:11 am

Time is Image
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:24 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's have coffee sometime.

We can meet halfway - somewhere off the coast of South Carolina...
volleyball_man

Postby taifun » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:48 am

Ok, then you can explain to me what I posted above :roll:
taifun

Postby volleyball_man » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:26 am

I've decided to read your name with an umlaut.
volleyball_man

Postby Admin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:42 am

Welcome Aburnett!

Looks like everything was covered by our great community if you have any other questions let us know.

Cheers!
Admin
Site Admin

gracias

Postby aburnett » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:44 pm

thanks for the feedback and insight. To answer someone's question, I'm a girl and haven't ever really found a workout that worked for me. I joined a kickboxing gym and that was the best shape I was in and I enjoyed it. I'm on the go alot and I enjoy pilates, kickboxing, and walking, but I need to step it up a notch. My 30th bday is soon and I want to be stronger and more fit than ever. I'm in Korea now and want something I can do anywhere I go so this seems like it's feasible.

I actually think I'm forming some calluses AND some BLISTERS. Do you think tape around my hands help? I don't know where to buy gloves.

I'm totally appreciative of everyone's feedback and comments, it helps motivate me. Also looking at your logs is very inspiring. You guys moved up to level 2 pretty quickly, eh?

I am going to have a pull up party when I can do one. yay!

Right now I'll use negatives, figure out the body rows-thanks for the pics of all the diff things, and planks. planks are the ab exercise right? i think i love those.

i'm off to do some jog/walking to keep me inspired and keep me out of the kitchen till D2 tomorrow.

aburnett

Postby aussiechick » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:32 am

Well we haven't all moved on to level 2 very quickly :roll: But we will get there!

Yep planks are the core exercise where you kinda hold the top of a pushup - pilates will have given you a headstart there!

Not sure about the tape for your hands - so they actually hurt where they are peeling? Haven't had that problem, except for during and a few minutes after lots of bodyrows. Mine are just calluses - rough but not painful.

Hopefully this will be workout program that "clicks" for you - I know it did for me!
aussiechick

Postby taifun » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:26 am

We most definately havent all moved to L2.

If the hands blister, I would find some gloves to use for a while.
taifun

Next

Return to fitness community