Simplefit.org • View topic - Slide911

Slide911

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Slide911

Postby Slide911 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:14 am

Just found this site yesterday and started this morning. I'm 54, about 5'7", and 236 lbs.

Didn't have a way to do pullups so I skipped that. Couldn't go more than about 8 minutes, and didn't think to count the amount of reps but it was probably 10.

I figured it would help if I log my progress here.

Bill
Slide911

Postby zorg » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:33 am

What exactly did you do?
zorg

Postby Slide911 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:50 am

2 pushups, 3 squats.
Slide911

Postby zorg » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:53 am

You'll progress faster than you perhaps expect to :)
zorg

Postby volleyball_man » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:23 pm

Good start!

Instead of pullups - try one of these versions of bodyrows: lay on your back under a coffee table and pull up off the floor, or try finding a post somewhere you can wrap a towel or rope around and do bodyrows from there (these will be easier than the table suggestion. I started with elastic bands hooked to a fixed object and did bent over pulls.

Keep going!
volleyball_man

Postby anubis » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:47 pm

The advice from volleyball man is sound. I can't do pullups to save my life so I've been doing body-rows as he suggested and slow negatives which I am hoping will help me to a full pull up. As these guys said keep at it. You can only get better from doing it
anubis
Advanced Member

Postby Slide911 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:25 am

It is the next day and I repeated Day One exercises. This time I set the timer for 20 minutes and made it through most of the time. Did 17 reps and I used a spiral staircase to do the bodyrow as suggested.
Slide911

Postby zorg » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:42 am

Remember that it's OK to take a break while doing D1. The break doesn't stop the running clock, of course, but you don't have to do your reps without taking a few breaths here and there.
So if you feel groggy after, say, 12 minutes, you could pause a minute or two, and then continue.
zorg

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:43 am

Bill,

That was a great workout!

check my first post:

http://www.simplefit.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=232&start=0

If you've got some time read through the early part of my log. Stay focused and consistent and you will see benefits very soon!
volleyball_man

Postby brichm01 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:57 am

Great job, Bill!

Do whatever you can do but stick with it! I've been doing this program for 7 weeks. I'm sticking with it because it works.
brichm01
Advanced Member

Postby Slide911 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 am

okay, here is progress update.

I stopped for a while right after my second work out, but a couple of days ago, I went and bought a chin up bar and started again. Made it through the L1D1 for 20 minutes, and was sore as hell the next day. But it was a good sore. Today tried L1D2. I can't do anything close to a pull up so I've been jumping and trying to hold myself up as long as possible. My arms were so sore that for the first few times it was basically me jumping up and down. I couldn't hold myself at all, but I just continued on. Got through the session and by the end, I was holding myself up a little better, but not much, and the pain was less. It actually felt great.

Question about day 3: it states 10 pullup and since I'm doing a sub, I'm basiclly jumping up and trying to hold myself 3 times for every pull up it asks for. Does this mean I need to do this 30 times in a row to do day 3? Seems impossible from where I sit right now, or should I just stay at day one until I can do pull ups better?
Slide911

Postby volleyball_man » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:41 pm

Get a towel. Wrap it around the pullup bar. Do bodyrows. The sub you are doing is good - don't do it too often or you'll mess up your elbows. Be patient! 3 bodyrows = 1 pullup.

Welcome back - stay at it!!!!
volleyball_man

Postby anubis » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 am

I do bodyrows exclusively (3 subs=1pu) on D1 so I can keep going as it is for endurance. On D2 I do a combination of slow negatives and assisted pull-ups and try to get as much weight bearing as possible to help increase strength (at least I hope this will increase strength?). This makes your time seem really long as the slow negs are, of course, slow. I figure as I can't yet do a full pull-up then it really doesn't matter too much as to my time on D2 so I focus more on form and building up to a pull-up. D3 I've been doing bodyrows as 30 is a lot if you're trying to go for time (you do the same amount as D2 but on D2 you can rest between sets). I might try popping a few assisted or slow negs as I feel stronger into D3 but for now that's it.

As I said I can't do a pullup or chinup yet so take my advice with a big grain of salt! Some of the other guys have actually progressed through from not being able to do any to doing a lot. They threw some advice at me and from that I more or less figured this was the best plan for me. Most importantly it seems to be one I can at least stick to.

This guy goes over a few methods to work up to a pull-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba7q14s5-2w . If URL doesn't work try searching the evolution of pullups on you tube. He says if you can do a slow neg for 8-10 sec then you should be able to do a pull-up (the key word being should). I can manage almost a 12 second controlled slow neg and am yet to do a pull-up. Anyway, everyone is different in this regard I guess. There's tonnes of other info on this all over the net, but the main theme seems to be do a variation of subs and most importantly keep at it.
anubis
Advanced Member

Return to workouts