Simplefit.org • View topic - JoJos Workout Log

JoJos Workout Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

JoJos Workout Log

Postby JoJo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the site. Let me say that I have been playing around with Simplefit for about 5 weeks, and it is very addictive. I have worked out primarily with body weight exercises for probably a couple of years now. I've been one of those on again off again fitness enthusiasts for nearly 5 years. I can say that this method is one of the most addictive workout programs I've ever tried. I have new motivation to be in shape now, as I am participating in an obstacle race in May. To prepare, I wanted to include this program to improve my stamina. As of right now, I've been doing Simplefit every other week, with a strength focused program (still body weight) on the weeks in between. I was worried that the two different styles would conflict, but so far they have been very complimentary to each other, as I am seeing quick improvements in both programs.

Info: I am a male, age 25, 5'10", about 170lbs.
I started on level 5, I dont have my log with me right now, so I'll come back and post exact numbers later. I do know that my day 1 rounds have been 16 rounds, then 18 rounds, then 23 rounds, and that my day 3 time is currently under 9 minutes. I'll come back later with the specifics, and hopefully keep things posted here.

Thanks for the great program and great community guys!
JoJo

Re: JoJos Workout Log

Postby JoJo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:54 am

So I learned that I was doing day 2 wrong, going through quickly and counting the all the time. I'll fix that going forward. Anyway, here are my numbers:

Week 1
D1: 16 rounds
D2: 13:00
D3: 10:24

Week 3
D1: 18 rounds
D2: 9:58
D3: 8:15

Week 5 is in progress, starting with a 23 round day 1!
JoJo

Postby Ruli » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:35 pm

Great progress JoJo, keep it up.
Ruli

Postby JoJo » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:30 pm

Level 5 Week 5
D1: 23 rounds
D2: 6.5 minutes, not including the breaks
D3: 7.5 minutes

Good week, good progress. I had been doing this every other week, but I think that I going to stick to this program every week. I'll see if I progress any faster. My pull-ups have improved a lot in a short amount of time. On day three I reached 13 pretty solid pull-ups before I came off the bar. I might do better to not max them out the first time through, cause my pull-ups drop off pretty bad after a first set max. Does anybody have a suggestion for the most efficient way to approach pull-ups on day 3? Thanks in advance!
JoJo

Postby KTG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 am

That's a great job on level 5! I've experimented around with the right set numbers for D3 pull-ups. Don't really have a great plan. I try to start out with a small enough set that by the end I am still able to do sets of at least 3, since, for me, sets of 1 or 2 always involve some jumping rather than pulling up. But it is hard to calibrate.
KTG

Postby JoJo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am

Thanks for the advice, KTG. I might back off at the beginning to finish stronger. Maybe I can start with sets of 7 or something like that. I admit that I wasnt feeling like I would do great this week, just wasnt feeling it. But the numbers keep coming up, so I keep on being happy with the results.

Level 5 week 6
D1: 25 rounds
D2: 5:47 not counting breaks

Day 3 is yet to come, I will hopefully do that on Friday night.
JoJo

Postby brmc72 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Solid level 5 performance, nice work! I'm kind of with KTG in terms of breaking up the pull-ups on Day three. I've tried doing as many as I could early on, but then I burn out and just end up doing a bunch of single-reps until I hit my number. Probably just personal preference, but I seem to like staying a couple of reps below absolute failure, dropping off the bar for a minute, then finishing up with sets of 3-4.
brmc72
Advanced Member

Postby JoJo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:26 am

Thanks bmrc72. I followed that advice and did my sets in 10-5-5-3-3 I think, although I didnt write it down. I dont actually have my time with me, but I believe it was a 6:15 on day three. My conditioning has improved very quickly on this program. Unfortunately, I'm having some flare ups of injuries in both my knee and elbow, so I'm having to take it easy this week. It will count as my week of dropping back to a lower level. Neither of my injuries were caused by these workouts, I've had both of them chronically for years. My knee is aggravated because I'm trying to start running. I'm going to do a Warrior Dash in May, and I really dont run. We'll see how that works out.
JoJo

Postby KTG » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 am

The challenge, of course, is that to move up through the levels you need to work on both increasing the set sizes and decreasing the rest time. Apart from the underlying goal of increasing strength, those two things work against each other. I think early on in a level is a good time to experiment, when you know that you don't really have a chance to break 5 min. I just tried an experiment increasing my pull-up set sizes, and it cost me more than 2 minutes on D3. But I think I'll stick with it that way for a while, since ultimately beating level 5 will require those bigger sets.
KTG

Postby JoJo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am

Comleted Week 8 D1 last night, after taking last week off, I didnt expect too much improvement. Sure enough, I stayed the same, 25 rounds in 20 minutes. My elbow is still bugging me, so the pull ups were really tough. I pretty much did 10 rounds in the first 5 minutes and exhausted myself in the process. Oh well.

Week 8-D1
25 rounds

Thinking about strategies for day 3, I'm thinking that maybe I'll see if I can split pull ups into 30 second blocks. I'll start with 6 reps, then 5, 5, 5, 5, for a total of 2.5 minutes. That would leave me with 2.5 minutes for push ups and squats, which I think I could pull off. Then again, I probably cant do 5 sets of 5 or more with less than 10 seconds rest between sets. We'll see how it works anyway.
JoJo

Postby JoJo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:20 am

I completed week 8 day 2 last night, and I felt pretty good for the first time in a few weeks.

Week 8 Day 2
4:47

Now I realize that it is exactly a minute faster than last time, but I swear, its what I did! I found it helpful to really aim for a set time on each round. In my case, each round in under a minute. Before I was not watching my workout time, only my brake time, and then subtracting the brakes from the total workout time. Timing the workout instead works better. I guess I should also mention that I'm only doing 2 minute brakes instead of 3. Sorry, I just cant wait that long!

Something else I am very excited about, my wife has started level one of the program! She did 23 rounds on day 1! She was subbing for most of the push ups and pull ups, but never the less, I was proud! She did real chin ups on the first 5 rounds, which made me pretty proud!
JoJo

Postby KTG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:54 am

I agree with your approach to D2. I'm always shooting for 1 minute per round. Until I can do that, I keep the breaks at 3 minutes. When I get down to 1 minute per round I'll take 30 seconds off of the breaks. I'll keep doing that until I level up or get all the way down to just 30 second breaks.

That is terrific about your wife taking it up.
KTG

Postby JoJo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:25 am

KTG, I like your approach on shortening the rest time based on the workout time, kind of another built in reward. I might do that when I get to level 6. I completed level 5 day 3 last Thursday, and it went pretty well. The idea I had to do pull-ups in sets of 5 in thirty second intervals worked pretty good. I got through the last set a little late by the time it was over, because 5 sets of 5 or 6 in 2.5 minutes is apparently still too much to ask of myself. I think I was at about 2:45 when I got done with pull-ups. Then I had to pause once in the middle of pushups, and I was done for.

Level 5, Day 3
5:29

Less than 30 seconds to cut off now! Maybe I'll have it in a few more weeks. Anyway, I'm not gonna be able to get back to day one until tomorrow or the next day this week, as I have come down with a pretty bad cold. I've been having a bit of a rough go as of late. Oh well, still pressing on toward the best shape of my life!
JoJo

Postby JoJo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:05 am

Level 5 Day 1
24 rounds

Well, I was sick all week last week, so I dropped 1 round. I'm a little bit frustrated with this, but thats what happens when you cant work out two of the last three weeks. I will carry on! I'm still stronger than when I started.
JoJo

Postby brmc72 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Any workout is still better than no workout at all, it's all progress. And 24 rounds is still a heck of a workout. Consistency is certainly the key...miss a workout here and there and it makes a noticeable difference in your performance. I know from first hand experience...
brmc72
Advanced Member

Next

Return to workouts