Simplefit.org • View topic - Halligan's Log

Halligan's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Halligan's Log

Postby Halligan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:19 pm

Alright, so being 265 is getting rather old. I had one of the guys at the station point out simplefit.org as a good way to get back into the swing of working out again. At 5'10" I'm well over my ideal body weight and being recently married with a baby on the way and recently promoted I figured I'd start leading by example on both fronts. Here goes nothing.

I can't do pull ups, so right now I'm finding ways to cheat.

During L1 D1 I did 35 rounds...pull ups were of the "jump as hard as I can and pull the rest of the way" type with a slow return to the bottom. The 35 rounds were a mix of those and body rows. I didn't realize until I was done that when you substitute 1 pull up you are supposed to do 3 for ALL of them...the jump ones I did only 1 but when I did body rows I did 3. I'll fix that for next week.

For today I did L1D2 for pull ups I used a bar on the rack with only one foot to help me up throughout the movement. I remembered to do 6 pull ups since they were substitutes ..instead of 2. Was able to knock out the workout in 5:37 with the 3 minute rest between sets.

Now out of curiosity, I read the rule where if you complete the workout in less than 5 minutes you move up a level, if it takes you more than 30 you move down one...which day does this apply to? 2, or 3?
Halligan

Postby volleyball_man » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi - welcome!

The 5 min/30 min rule applies to D3 only. Whether you do this only when you have no subs is a matter of choice. I stuck to L1 until I could do D3 under 5min legit.

Be careful about doing a ton of negatives on your pullups - you'll hurt your elbows. Make sure you use body rows a lot. Only throw in the negs now and again. Be sure to use proper form on the squats. Crossfit has some video tutorials on these that might be worth a look.

I say all of these because they applied to me at some point.

Again - welcome and keep at it.
volleyball_man

Postby Halligan » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:50 pm

Thanks VBM, I appreciate the reply.

10/26/08 L1D3 5:26

Pull-ups 30(15, 6, 6, 3)
Pushups 21(11,10)
Squats 21(11,10)

Followed it up with walking up 40 flights at our local hi-rise(benefit of working out on duty, did 10,5,5,5,5,3,3,4)

All of these are cheat pull-ups using a bar infront of where I'm pulling up.

Not feeling much different but it's only the first week, I'm thinking of staying on this level till I can do it with regular pull ups. What do you guys think. Should I or should I continue moving when I hit 5 minutes and the pull ups will come by themselves as I get stronger?
Halligan

Postby nujet2002 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:50 pm

This is just my personal opinion and I'm very new with simplefit as well but I think its best to progress once you can because even if you go up a level you'll still be working on the pullups and you won't be wasting time on a level of pushups and squats that aren't difficult enough for you. It just seems like the best way to get everything out of it.

I started at level 4 right away just because I want to be doing as difficult of work as my body can handle. I can do about 6 real pullups but can't do any more than that in which i do substitutions.
nujet2002

Return to workouts