6 push-ups
10 squats

round 1: 37sec's
round 2: 40
round 3: 39
round 4: 39
round 5: 36
total time: 3min 11 sec's

not too shabby i'd say. best of all though (which is a HUGE encouragement to me) is the fact that i did proper pull-ups!!! no subs, no chin-ups, no alternating grips, just straight forward pull-ups. so i guess my days of chin-ups are numbered. to the purist my form might still be a bit suspect, i'm i'm sure that will correct itself as i get stronger.
given the amount of pull-ups, i might still revert to alternating grips on D1 & D3, but i'm happy with that.
yesterday on my off day i changed some blows with the puch bag. what a cardio workout though!!! i'm taking it easy so as not to injure myself, as that can happen very quickly (i'm talking from experience).
now i'm just waiting for friday - L1D3.
Ruli

Postby DonQuijote » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:15 am

Great work!
DonQuijote
Advanced Member

Postby DonQuijote » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:19 am

Ghokun wrote:
DonQuijote wrote:This is a pull up

This is a chin up

Google is your friend :P

I love the fact that the name of the photo for the pull-up is ChinUps.jpg.

I don't feel my question was too stupid now ;)
DonQuijote
Advanced Member

Postby Ruli » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:18 pm

i remember back in the day when i was still an avid road runner, i got very frustrated with myself when i'd do a 10 or 15km run and my time was way worse than my personal best. my training partner gave me some valuable advice that changed my whole approach to training runs and races. he said that you must "listen" to your body. you will not feel the same, or will not be in the same condition every time you're going for a run. sometimes you'll feel great, which means chances are that you'll have a good run. but you'll get days where you're not 100% on top of your game. when you feel like that, know that you're run is not going to be great and pace yourself accordingly.
as i said, that changed my whole approach to the sport, to the extent that i knew whether i'll run a PB or not.

this morning when i got up, i just knew that i'm going to have a shit workout!! maybe i had a little too much to drink last night, maybe i didn't sleep well, i don't know, but i just didn't felt on top of my game, almost to the point where i had to force myself to train. not quite so bad, cause i was really looking forward to D3 and to see how i would fare, but i also knew that it won't be the best of workouts.
so off i went to my little corner to warm up in preparation for battle.

W3L1D3
10 pull-ups
21 push-ups
21 squats

last week i only managed 8 pull-ups - this week i did all ten in sets of 2/2/1/1/1/1/1/1. only the first two sets were pull-ups, the rest were either chin-ups or alternating grip. i'm still not happy with my form though. sometimes i can't get my chin above the bar, so there is clearly still some work to be done.

as opposed to last week's 21 straight push-ups, i did 2 sets this morning of 15 and 6.

squats were done all 21 in a row.

i didn't time myself with a stop watch, so i'm not too sure about the accurate time of the workout, but it was in the region of 5 min's. not yet ready to move to L2 though.

next week is my rest week. seeing that i'm still on L1, i'll just do some cardio and a bit of punch bag. when i started SF i realy thought this rest week would be a waste of time. i don't think so anymore! i can can feel that my muscles took some strain over the last three weeks and they deserve a rest! come week 5 i'll tackle L1 with renewed energy and strength!!!
Ruli

Postby Ghokun » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:17 am

Yeah, that's the spirit!
Ghokun

Postby Ruli » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:49 am

today is the end of week 4 for me - my first rest week. seeing that i'm still on L1 and can't go to a lower lvl, the idea was to do some cardio this week, but alas, laziness prevailed and i did absolutely NOTHING!! shame on me!!!
to make matters worse, i've been carrying this niggling pain in my right trapezius for some time, so i went to the physio on tuesday for some treatment. it went well, as the thing was a bit better on wednesday. at yesterday's session i told her that my right shoulder is also a bit stiff, especially if i wake up in the morning. as you might or might not know, a physio doesn't need much more than that to convince him to treat the shoulder as well. boy, was that sore!!! she also mention that i might have bruised my bicep tendon, cause it hurt when she worked over that area. i have to go for another treatment tomorrow morning, so we'll have to wait untill sunday to see how my shoulder/neck/bicep reacted to the treatment. be that as it may, i told the physio that i'm doing SF and she said best rest another week, or risk further injury. so it looks like i'll be "off" next week as well. shit!!!!
i was so looking forward to start working out again!! but having read all about injuries and recovery time on the forum, i'll take another week off. but i promise to do some cardio next week.

ps - sad about michael jackson, hey.
Ruli

Postby redleader327 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:34 pm

Ruli, are you following the RICE formula for any injury?

Rest: the injured area
Ice: the area (15-20mins on, 45-60 off as needed)
Compression: wrapping in a towel or ace bandage if swollen
Elevation: to allow gravity to drain the injury (if swollen)

Also, I'd recommend seeing a massage therapist. Massage Therapists can work wonders.
redleader327

Postby Ruli » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:01 am

thanx for the advice red - i'll try it.
i'm seeing the physion again this afternoon - the shoulder in not yet 100%. it's frustrating though. i'm in my second week of rest now and i'm getting impatient by the day. next monday i'll start again, come hell or high water!!!
Ruli

Postby Ruli » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:24 pm

right folks, i'm back in action again - yippeeee!!!!
my shoulder is much better - in fact i think it's perfectly healed. i picked up another problem though this morning and would appreciate some advice. when doing a pull-up with my left wrist facing away, i'm experiencing great pain where my bicep joins my elbow. this is only evident when my palm is facing away. when i do chin-ups, everything is fine. has some else experienced this?

back to today's workout:

W6L1D1
as many rounds as possible in 20 min's
1 pull-up
2 push-ups
3 squats

25 rounds

most of my pull-ups were done with alternating grip. due to the problem experienced as explained above, i had to through in a couple of chip-ups though.
i was realy surprised at the number of rounds as well as the fact that i managed to go the full 20 min's. i thought that after doing absolutely nothing for two weeks i'm realy going to struggle this morning, but to my surprise i managed actually quite well.

let's see how the rest of the week goes.
Ruli

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:57 am

Go to my blog - find the "Nerve Glides" link. See if these help. They help me a ton!
volleyball_man

Postby Ruli » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:21 am

thanx vbm i found the link and will definately give the excercises a try!
Ruli

Postby Ruli » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:54 pm

so today was L1D2

2 pull-ups
6 push-ups
10 squats

round 1 38 sec's (pull-ups)
round 2 40 sec's (alternate grip)
round 3 37 sec's (alternate grip)
round 4 38 sec's (chin-ups)
round 5 37 sec's (pull-ups)

Total time: 3min 10 sec's

I think from next week on i won't time myself. this morning i just got the feeling that whilst doing D2, i pushed for time, as opposed to concentrating on form.

i can definately feel an increase in strenght, as the pull-ups gets easier every time i do them. that is one hell of a motivator i might say!!!

again, thanx for the link vbm. yesterday i did the stretching excercises and the pain in my elbow was definately less this morning!
Ruli

Postby anubis » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:36 am

Ruli wrote:when doing a pull-up with my left wrist facing away, i'm experiencing great pain where my bicep joins my elbow.

I had this issue doing either pull-ups or chin-ups, and still continue to have aggravation on occasion (if I push too hard). Kevin ('admin') suggested trying neutral grip pull-ups and that pretty much solved the problem. Like I said, on occasion I push too hard and still get pain but for the most part the neutral grip pull-up has been my best friend in the last few months. If the problem has gone away then great! If not try that and see if it helps.
anubis
Advanced Member

Postby Ruli » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:56 pm

isn't a neutral grip considdered a substitution?
Ruli

Postby ianjb » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:35 am

Not if you are doing it from a dead hang.
ianjb

PreviousNext

Return to workouts