Simplefit.org • View topic - Jennyfits log

Jennyfits log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Jennyfits log

Postby jennyfit » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:45 am

L1 D1 - 5 rounds, and couldn't complete the 20mins :-( I'm going to wait to attempt D2 until I can last the full time.
jennyfit

Bravo !

Postby Norman » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:53 am

Hey, Bravo for starting :!:

About waiting for D2 : it is actually vastly different from D1. It's a nice way to vary the workout and you'll find it is much easier than D1.

Anyway, maybe other people can give their opinions ?
Norman

Postby vim » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:52 am

Pfff, the fact you have started separates you from a vast percentage of your peers. Not finishing D1 is meaningless. You now have a benchmark from which to work. Just do D2 as best you can, record how far you get. Same for D3. If you give it 100% and eat correctly I can guarantee that next week you will do better.

Then the next week, better.

And better.

Then BAM! level 1 will just be an amusing joke as you cruise onto level 2.

PERSIST! PROGRESS IS INEVITABLE!
vim

Thanks Sooooo much.

Postby jennyfit » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Thanks you all for the encouragment. Any tips on how to efficient progess to a pull-up?
jennyfit

Postby vim » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:53 pm

To get good at pull ups you...Do lots of pull ups!

Start with chin ups, that is your hands facing towards you. I feel they are slightly uncomfortable but way easier than pull ups (palms away from you). Eventually alternate pull ups with chin ups. Then finally do only pull ups.

Most people cannot even do one single pull up. The fact that you can do some is a great start. If you find that you are incapable of doing any more pull ups during the workout, just switch over to substitutions (covered on the exercise page)

Remember, if you are doing this 100% then you will have to eat properly so your body can repair itself on the days off.
vim

pullups

Postby jennyfit » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:59 pm

Trust me if I could do one I would be doing them anywhere I could just for kicks, but I can't yet. I will continue with the substitutions, and work toward a chinup first. I've looked around a good bit for help on how to just get to your first pullup, but all I find is how to get better at already doing them. Thanks again
jennyfit

L1D2 - 5 rounds for time, mine was 10.5 minutes

Postby jennyfit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:15 am

You guys were right. Today was very different. I took a minute rest between sets, but did not count rest time in the total. I still don't feel like I'm really doing the body rows properly. I have the Iron Man Door Gym. I'm throwing a towel over it grabbing each end and lowing myself into a plank like postion where I'm facing upwards, and I pull myself towards the sky.
jennyfit

Postby ianjb » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:30 am

One way to progress towards a pull up is very similar to the beginer push up against a wall. With the push up you stand close to the wall and push up against the wall, moving your feet further from the wall as you get stronger.

With the pull up you use a towel with a knot in the middle. Put the knot over the top of a door and close it so that the two "handles" are hanging from the top of the closed door. The knot is on the other side of the door keeping the towel secure. Stand facing the door with your feet close to the door and grab the handles. Lean back, keeping your body straight, until your arms are straight.. Now pull yourself toward the door bending your arms and keeping your body straight. That's one very doable pull up substitution. As you get stronger you can make the towel "handles" longer so that you are pulling up more of your weight.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Never mind! - you posted as I was writing.
ianjb

Thank you

Postby jennyfit » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:37 am

Really thanks. That helps. It all feels so awkward so, I will definitely try that as well. I seriously appreciate any and all advice or feedback.
jennyfit

Postby saling4 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:28 pm

Jenny, I may be wrong but like the use of a chair or stool to assist with the pullup. Pull up as best you can and use your legs to assist you the rest of the way. Try to use only your arms on the negative.
saling4
Advanced Member

pull-ups

Postby jennyfit » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks so much I'm going to try anything and every thing to get to my first pull-up. I'm in a new semi-furnitureless apt so I need to go find me a sturdy stool or chair before I can try that. I've also been trying this, and please tell me if yall think its going to help. At my work I have a very solid built in desk. I've been laying under it and been pulling myself up. It seemed to feel like it would be good way to practice. Thanks again I'll be posting the results for L1D3 in the morning. Looking forward to it.
jennyfit

Postby ianjb » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:06 am

If you can do the desk thing then you can forget the door and towel thing I mentioned a couple of days ago as you have progressed past that point! The desk is very a good way to build on reps and strength.
ianjb

Postby anubis » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:21 am

First off welcome!

All that was already said (body rows with desks/towels, negatives) will help you. I'd suggest if you don't have a sturdy stool to try using a stability ball to help you up or surgical tubing/pallet bands. Otherwise use different substitutions throughout your workout when you can't continue with pull-ups i.e. body rows, slow negatives, jump-ups etc. and try to vary your grips i.e. wide/small grip palms facing in/out and one palm facing out one in. This will help strengthen other helper muscles, alleviate chances of injury and you will find that switching grips throughout D1 will make it possible to get closer to completing the 20 min as you're not constantly targeting the same muscles. Remember that it is OK to take a break during D1 to recover and then continue. Just make sure your clock keeps running. D1 breaks DO count against your time. You may want to try something like 5 rounds then a 1 min break and repeat or really whatever combination works for you. Once that gets easy increase the rounds before a break etc. etc.

Lastly this all takes time so don't get discouraged, the fact that you're doing pull-ups or chin-ups already is a great thing! The endurance and strength will come if you stick with it. NICE WORK!
anubis
Advanced Member

I'm so loving this site.

Postby jennyfit » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:38 am

I just want to make a clarification. I'm not able to do an actual dead hang pull-up or chin-up. But when I do I'm throwing a party so you will all be hearing about it. I am able to chin-up grip lying on the floor under my desk. I don't have a gym anymore(too expensive) but when I did I would lie under this rack that was for squats and pull myself up from a lying position on the floor. I think this is why the regular body rows didn't feel like I was working it correctly. Because I had already been doing something more difficult. So yay. I can't say thank you enough for all the tips and support. I overslept this morning so I'll be doing D3 after work, and posting it tomorrow morning.
jennyfit

Postby saling4 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:17 pm

Look forward to D3 data.
saling4
Advanced Member

Next

Return to workouts