Neilfensteins Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Neilfenstein

Re: Neilfensteins Log

Post by Neilfenstein » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:33 pm

17/11/2010 - L4 D2 Week 46

Logging and timing makes a difference to the moral!

Managed today's workout in 4.20.4 - New PR :D

Dropped over 20 seconds since the last time I timed the workout!

I did an easy kettlebell workout after because I had a boost of excitement and energy after the simplefit workout!

Bring on Friday, I think lol!!
Last edited by Neilfenstein on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:25 pm

19/11/2010 - L4 D3 Week 46

6.05.6 minutes :D

Getting there!

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:32 am

I went for my first proper sprint session in my Vibram KSO's and really hurt my Hamstrings/Achilles on both legs. I could hardly walk for the whole weekend and in to week 47, I had to forgoe SimpleFit routines this week. :( Really need to sort my feet out, may not attempt to run in my Vibrams again until after my Snowboarding holiday on 8th Jan just in case.

Week 47

Did some messing about with weighted Pull-ups, Chin-up and Push-ups, using a 9kg Kettlebell in a back pack (while I couldn't manage the squats), a few sets of 4 Pull-ups and Chin-ups on Tues, Weds and Thurs.

I also did a few sets of unweighted dive bomber push ups which showed some gaps in my strength. So I may try adding a few more of these in between SimpleFit workouts.

This week I changed up a bit - new focus!

29/11/2010 L4 D1 - Week 48 I am working for max rounds good form pushing as hard as possible. No Excuses!!

30 rounds all Pull-ups. New PR I got complacent before thinking I would focus on form. I think it was an attack of the lazy.

1/12/2010 L4 D2 - Week 48 I felt that as this is a strength day I would add weight to work the strength and take a hit on the time.

4.54.0 all exercises done with a 3 kg dumbbell in my back pack. I found that although my time has been getting faster, D3 was not as much of a challenge compared to D1.

3/12/2010 L4 d3 - Week 48 Normal - Hopefully better performance after the previous days changes!

6.15!

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:19 pm

06/12/2010 L4 D1 - Week 49

32 rounds all Pull-ups. Another New PR :D Very hard work :shock: , I feel like any more rounds could be near impossible, but I'll give it a go!! :?

08/12/2010 L4 D2 - Week 49

4.26.4 faster than last week (still using 3kg dumbbell in backpack).

10/12/2010 L4 d3 - Week 49

Not Done :cry: :D
Last edited by Neilfenstein on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

cheapo

Post by cheapo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:48 am

When my Day 1 numbers approach 30, my Day 3 time heads below 5:00. It might take a few tries to beat Day 3, but you should be there soon.

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:08 am

Thanks cheapo,

I know what you mean about numbers of reps on D1, but level 4 is differing for me in the regard that I don't think I can do enough in one go of push ups and pull ups! That is mainly why I have revised my efforts focussing on literally as much as possible on D1 (to improve my endurance) and adding weight on D2 (which hopefully will improve strength).

A question though do you think I would get more out of ignoring timing all together on D2 and adding more weight? Seperating D1 & D2 further focussing on their individual reasons more. A few weeks ago I was just plodding along and improving a bit here and there because I felt D1 & D2 were very similar; pushing for time!

cheapo

Post by cheapo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:36 am

I still haven't beaten Level 7 (not working out will do that), but, last summer, when I was working out regularly, I found myself in your position; unable to string together enough reps to beat Day 3. I too tweaked Day 2 to help with Day 3. This is what I did and it did improve my numbers:

Combine the sets of Day 2 into bigger sets.

Day 2 is 5 rounds. I tried these combinations:
  • Combo 1 (I did this.)
    1. 1 single round
    2. 2 double rounds
  • Combo 2 (I didn't try this.)
    1. 1 single round
    2. 1 triple round
    3. 1 single round
  • Combo 3 (I did this.)
    1. 1 single round
    2. 1 quadruple round
A double, triple, or quadruple round means combining all of the reps of each exercise into one set. This will build your endurance for Day 3.

For example, a single round of D2L7 looks like:
8 pull-ups / 24 push-ups / 40 squats

A quadruple round of D2L7 looks like:
32 pull-ups / 96 push-ups / 160 squats

I have never added weight to a SF workout, but I would think that would help too.

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:23 am

Cheers for the sage advice cheapo, I hadn't thought of that, it wouldn't have occurred to me to actually change the routine like that, but it makes sense! I may give my version another week and see my D3 time for improvement. After that though, I may lose the weights and try your method. However, I doubt I can do a double set, not sure I can do 8 pull ups in a row let alone 24 push ups after the pullups. I think that is why I struggle on D3!! :D

I didn't manage D3 this week I was away with work. I did do one round of the Spartacus Workout yesterday though which is suprisingly hard, even just one round. I might try and do this more often as it's a bit more intensely cardio which may get my endurance up. I dont know if anyone else here has tried it but it really creeps up on you. One minute your thinking 20 or so weighted squats is easy (I do loads on D1 on SimpleFit) the next minute your struggling for breathe and still got half the round to go and hoping you'll last to the end. On top of that your supposed to do 3 rounds.

It's a HIIT set of bodyweight and weighted exercises based on a 1 minute per station and 15secondes rest for 10 stations. I feel that it will aid my progress since all of the exercises are different to SimpleFit giving me a more rounded fitness. Plus its not chronic cardio!!

Any way D1 tonight, not sure if this is supposed to be a rest week or not, I will check but after missing D3 last week may stick to level 4 any way. I'll log, my progress later.

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:00 am

13/12/2010 L4 D1 - Week 50

Managed 33 rounds - New PR AGAIN :shock:

Nearly killed me lol. I have got a bit of a cold and where I work out is freezing so chest was a bit sore while panting at the end.

Again not sure I could manage 34 rounds, but, anything is possible didn't think I would be at 33 (34 is my most ever reps when on a rest day at level 2 would be awesome to equal that at level 4).

The NO excuses thing on D1 is working well on getting the numbers up. Form was not as great on the last few but its about getting rounds now, and form is never BAD, just not as strict.

:D

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:26 am

15/12/2010 L4 D2 - Week 50

OK, I took Cheapos' advice about ditching weights (for now) and mixing up the grouping of the 5 sets. I was also curious to see if I could do 8 pull ups in a row (normally do smaller sets on D3).

I did 2 sets of 8 Pull ups, 24 Push ups and 40 Squats and 1 of normal 4 Pull ups, 12 Push ups and 20 Squats.

Glad I did it that way round as I was shagged by the last set. I managed all exercises in the first group and the second I had to pause in the push ups.

Final time 4.33.6. Not bad compared to last weeks time, only a few seconds slower.

Thanks Cheapo, I really felt that and hopefully it will do me some good!! :D

cheapo

Post by cheapo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:38 pm

You're welcome!

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:22 am

Thanks Cheapo,

I have been infested with flu since last Friday so I have not been able to exercise. Shoulders and back ache just sitting around and have a really chesty cough.

I am hoping get better so I can get something done later this week. I was really hoping to end the year of SimpleFit on a high (this is now week 51 - WOO HOO!!! :D ).

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:56 am

L4 D3 - Week 50

Not Done :oops:

L4 D1 - Week 51
L4 D2 - Week 51
L4 D3 - Week 51

All not done still full of cold! Taken as Super Rest Week lol!

27/12/2010 L4 D1 - Week 52

25 rounds, really tough still full of cold!

L4 D2 - Week 52
L4 D3 - Week 52

Not done, cold still bad and Christmassy things to do as well as work :?

4/1/2011 - Week 53

30 rounds, I left out the squats as I have taken the last couple of weeks to rehabilitate my Achilles tendons in a vain attempt to fix them before I go snowboarding on the weekend. I will do D2 later this week before I go, in the same way missing the squats.

I took some photos tonight after my session to see if I could see the difference in physique now and am quite happy! Check me out Here! Not at all bad for a years efforts. I am planning a no drinking detox month when I come back from snowboarding where I am going to TRY to do some additional stuff like bike riding etc to see what happens I will also be attempting to be a lot more strict paleo/primal during this time so I will hopefully see a bit more of the fat go.

Any way happy new year!!

tmech

Post by tmech » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:33 pm

Heya!

So I figured I'd come find you to drop off those stretches ...

I love this one! It makes my entire back loosen up, highly recommended (you can vary the stretch point by changing angles/pressure):
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/GluteusMa ... Glute.html

And 1,2,4,5,6 on here .. (and variations .. anything that stretches upper leg really helps my knee!)
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/runn ... etches.htm

And the Hip Flexor Lunge ..
http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8278250 ... lexor-.htm

That's my "ones I do most of the time". My girlfriend is an ex-triathlete pilates addict so she's always throwing new stretches at me.

The other tip that I have for clicking knees is ITB massaging - I use a ball rolling massager thing on the outside of my leg when my knees feel too tight or start to click, it makes a big difference (was recommended as something to do while watching TV once a week, from my osteopath).

Massager looks like this: http://www.productreview.com.au/showite ... m_id=68190

And that's everything I know about making my knees not click! It bugged me for two years solidly, and now when it starts I make sure to go for a short run (even 1 or 2 km is enough), then stretch properly and massage ITB a little.

Good luck on the slopes!

Neilfenstein

Post by Neilfenstein » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks very much tmech, I will look at those soon!

Week 54

On holiday snowboarding so not done but V. active while boarding. I noticed a massive difference in endurance and fitness after a year of SimpleFit and losing 3 stone!! Exactly the reason I started this!!

18/1/2011 L4 D1 - Week 55

Caught a cold while on holiday, managed 20 sets. Very weak in my shoulders and not great over all. I set my timer for 30 reps too, so lamed out quite badly lol! :oops:

20/1/2011 L4 D2 - Week 55

Did this in 4.12.8, NEW PR - Very Surprised, I was fast in the early round but could tell I still was fatigued by my cold by the end lost enrgy fast. Hopefully I will hit a sub 4 minute on D2 soon.

I've missed a fair few D2 and D3's over the last couple of weeks I am interested in seeing how I get on. I am also on a no alchohol, no caffiene, no/low dairy, primal/paleo month until valentines day after Xmas and my holiday to see how I can progress and for a little respite.

Lets see how it goes!! :shock: