• View topic - poJonas Log

poJonas Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

poJonas Log

Postby pojonas » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Hi All!

Got lured into this by a co-worker and I love it. I cant do regular pull-ups right now due to an injury in my left lower arm. I substituted pull-ups with Body-Rows starting from an angle of 45 degrees.

I started the simple-fit program tonight at Level 4, and completed 10 rounds in 20 minutes. It was the push-ups that got to me in the end.

Just judging from my result, is this a god level to start at for me or should I go down in levels?

Postby Ruli » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 am

welcome to Sf pojonas.

10 rounds is a bit on the few side. ideally you should no less than 20 rounds on D1, so i would suggest you drop a lvl or two.

Postby pojonas » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:21 am

Thanxs Ruli

Will do. I'll start from level one and try to substitute the pull-ups with a near horizontal body-row and work my self up from there. I'll restart the training cycle tomorrow.

poJonas Log

Postby pojonas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Restarted the Training cycle an moved down to level 1.
I substituted the single pull-up with (3 x) body-rows starting from an angle of approximately 45 degrees. I tried a steeper angle but my forearm could not take the load. I tried to maintain a semi seated body posture to ensure that I was back heavy al the way up.

Warm-up (duration: 15 minutes):
Some running in one spot, high knees.
10 Burpees,
10/2 Turkish Get-ups (Using a 12 Kg kettlebell)
45 seconds of Plank,
10 reps of side-plank,
Some sit ups ( lost count due to loved one )

I then went on to LV1D1 exercise and managed to complete 33 rounds in 20 minutes.
It feels really good and I look forward for LV1D2 on Wednesday.

pojonas Log

Postby pojonas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:30 am

It is Wednesday and I am mentaly prepairing myself for L1D2 this evening. The L1D1 round on Monday has now manifested in a sweet ichy training ache in the area between my shoulders and the upper halv of my back.

I have decided to stay on LV1 untill I can do regular pull-ups in a good form.

poJonas Log

Postby pojonas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:07 pm

L1D2 5 rounds of

2 pull-ups (sub 6 x body row)
6 push-ups
10 squats

1:40 felt strong.hort
2:18 last push-up got hard
3:41 push-ups got me (4 + short break + 2)
2:32 paused between bodyrows and push-ups, managed 5 + 1 pushups
3:04 Last push-up was hard, near failure

Total: time 13:17

This was though, The push-ups got me again. I had to pause in the last 3 sets of push-ups. Think I read somewhere that I should stop 2 reps before failure?
What is best pausing andfinishing the set or skipping the remaining and continue with the next exercise?

Postby scumdogg » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:41 am

Hi pojonas,

Just a thought: maybe your pushup form is causing you to fail on pushups? I've seen some people that try to do pushups with their hands at shoulder level and their arms at 90 degress from their body so they look like a T. This position isn't good for your shoulders and really restricts your pushing power due to body mechanics. Your hands should be inline with your nipples and your arms at a 45 degree angle or less from your body. Maybe you already knew this, in which case just ignore this :wink:

One other thing, something that helped me on D1 to hit the 20 rep range was to schedule a round every minute. I was always guilty of plowing through the first bunch of rounds very quickly then running out of gas towards the end. Trying to start a round every minute will help you to pace yourself so that you don't burn out on the first 5 reps.

pojonas Log

Postby pojonas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:22 am

10 pull-ups sub: 3 pull-ups (1, 1, 1) + 21 body rows (7, 7, 7 )
21 push-ups (5 , 5 , 6 , 2, 3)
21 squats

Time: 13:24.

Thanks for the pace advice scumdogg! I think that is the way for me to do it. I applied it to D3 today as I decided not to try more then 5-6 push-ups without a little stroll in the living room.

The main thing is that I am heavy and have never done that many push-ups before. I hold my arms close to my body, almost touching my ribs with my elbows. I was told this is the
best way of doing them but, perhaps I should let my elbows come out a litte.

poJonas Log

Postby pojonas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm

Monday LVD1

did 20 rounds in 20 minutes of
1 pull-up ( first 7 deadhangpull-ups, last 13 sub 3 xbody-row)
2 push-ups
3 squats

Felt great to be able to performe 7 deadhang pullups. I decided to pace myself starting a round every minute.

1 hour of BJJ. Early morning pass, hade no strength left in body. Was fun though.

Round 1( 1:52 ): 2 deadhang pull-ups, 6 pushups , 10 squats
Round 2( 2.36 ): 1 deadhang + 3 body rows, 5 + 1 push-up, squats
Round 3( 2.50 ): 6 body rows, 3 + 3 pushu ps, 10 squats
Round 4( 2.47 ): 6 body rows, 3 + 2 + 1 push ups, 10 squats
Round 5( 2.58 ): 6 body rows, 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 pushups, 10 squats

Total time including pauses between rounds 20'45.

tomorrow another session of BJJ.

I have not sleept as good in acouple of years as I did this last week. :)

pojonas Log

Postby pojonas » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 am

Have not had time to log on and maqke posts. All my kids have been sick.

Cant remember D1L1 and D2L1 from last week but I did them and a full D3L1 this Sunday without any subs for the pullups. Lost track of the total time due to kids and wife interupting between push ups and squats.

10 deadhang pullups ( with a 30-60 second pause between reps )
7 + 7 + 7 strict pushups
21 squats

Felt great!

Also did a D1L1 Last night

11 rounds (no subs for pullups)
7 rounds substituted pull-ups with vertical body rows X 3
4 rounds substituted pull-ups subs body row x 3 (with 45 degree start position).

No BJJ due to hectic worklife and sick kids.

I realy enjoy the progress with the pull-ups but also think I have improved my pushup form. I am still struggling with the form for my squats. I try to keep a balance where it feels like I will tip backwards but I usually end up tilting my upper body forward way to mutch. Iam currently exprementing with a wall in front of me to prevent that.

Return to workouts