Simplefit.org • View topic - Mary's Log

Mary's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Mary's Log

Postby mary_l_turner » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:28 am

L1D1: 22 rounds

We have been working out using the Project Swole, 3x5 program for several weeks. This focuses on heavy weights, squats, deadlifts, bench press, pullups, and many others. We thought we would try a bodyweight routine so we could do it outdoors when we felt like it.

I completed all the pushups and pullups for L1D1, but only got through about 3 pullups, then switched to chinups. Completed about 6 chinups, and finished the rest with my husband's assistance.
mary_l_turner

Postby cook12345 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:34 pm

great first day - I think you're supposed to average 1 set a minute, so you're right on queue...

and girl - you rock with the pullups/chinups!! That's awesome!!!
cook12345

Postby mary_l_turner » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:56 pm

L1/D2 - 47, 48, 45, 45, 55 - 240 seconds or 4 minutes.

Using the straight out arms for the pullups on the Iron Gym. Cannot quite do pullups on the wide grips yet. Will get there though.

Should I wait till I can do the regular wide grip pullups before advancing to level 2?
mary_l_turner

Postby cook12345 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm kind of in the same boat - I don't know when I'll be able to do unassisted pullups - I've read you shouldn't progress until you can do them unassisted, but I also think cheapo said that you could progress up to level 4 with assists, then drop back down to level 1 with no assists...I'm thinking I might go that way.

I'm in my 5th week at level 1, I can tell I'm getting stronger, but I'm hoping if I progress to level 2 then maybe that will equal more strength?
cook12345

Postby Neilfenstein » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:18 am

Hello,

I thought I would just offer my advice as I have over come this same hump in the training, it feels like everyone else starts and can do pull ups straight away and I struggled for what seemed like ages.

I did not progress until I did proper dead hang pull ups, I did however progress to horizontal body rows using rings that I bought to hang from my pull up bar. This makes a huge difference in the progression. I found they had much less impact being easier on the elbows, shoulders but you are pulling a much greater weight than stood up body rows.

Read my log if you are interested, I have made a progression of some sort every week i.e. in time or reps. When I switched to horizontal body rows I took a hit in reps I could achieve in one session, but soon built them back up. I currently do D1 work outs as horizontal body rows to help complete the week as I found the impact of proper dead hang pull ups was damaging my times/performance on D2 and D3.

Its a personal choice but I couldn't face the thought of dropping back to level one at a later stage. There is no rush, I found that I had to try a few things out and see what worked for me. But even by week 11 I had a marked change in body shape and was feeling much better in myself. I have been doing simplefit since Christmas (24 weeks) and have only just in the last 8 weeks or so been able to do proper pull ups and now I am on level 3 (and struggling lol)!

As an extra note I started doing my pull ups relatively wide and have reduced to just over shoulder width, I read that it does not make much difference to effectiveness of the exercises but I do find it much easier at this width. I dont know if any one can confirm this is OK.

Good luck both of you and keep logging, noticing little steps of progress really helps me stay motivated!! :D
Neilfenstein

Postby cheapo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:49 am

cook12345 wrote:I'm kind of in the same boat - I don't know when I'll be able to do unassisted pullups - I've read you shouldn't progress until you can do them unassisted, but I also think cheapo said that you could progress up to level 4 with assists, then drop back down to level 1 with no assists...I'm thinking I might go that way.?

I am not a trained trainer or anything of the sort. Feel free to take, leave or reformulate my advice.

For instance: you could level up using substitutions, but every n weeks, go back to Level 1 and do it without substitutions, just for that week. Keep doing that for a while, then, when you're ready, increase the frequency of weeks at Level 1 (no subs) and decrease the number at the higher level (w/ subs). When you're used to that, change the ratio again. Take as many weeks as you need, but, I would think, after a few months, you'd have abandoned the substitutions.
cheapo

Postby cook12345 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:16 am

thanks for the advice....Neil I know what you mean about following others' improvements - it motivates me as well...

I may have to do that...leveling up with substitutions, then returning to level 1 and trying it with no subs...
cook12345

Postby mary_l_turner » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:43 am

L1/D3 - 5:30

Mary was able to complete one pullup, and the rest were chinups. Those took the bulk of her time. She went through the pushups rather quickly, about three short rest periods. However, she completes pushups with good form, all the way up and down, and not girlie style. Her squats are easy for her. So, her main challenge is getting the pullups down.

Thanks for the above advice and how she can work up to it. I think if she can get through using chinups and rows, then she will eventually get the pullups.
mary_l_turner

Postby mary_l_turner » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:09 pm

L1/D1: 20 rounds. Mary also had breakfast right before her workout like I did, and it affected her moreso. She got sick after 20 rounds, with about 4 minutes left. I have no doubt she would have completed more than the 22 rounds she finished last week. So, lesson learned, no food before Day 1.

Mary can complete one pullup, and then does chinups after that for most rounds up till about 15. From 15 on, I assist her with the chinups with a hand to give her that little bit to get over the bar. Her pushups and squats are independent and with good form.
mary_l_turner

Postby mary_l_turner » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:13 pm

L1/D2: 45, 49, 50, 50, 47, for 241 minutes, or 4 minutes 1 second.

Mary completed two full pullups on her first set. The remaining sets she completed full chinups, no assistance. I think a 3-4 weeks and she will get close to passing level 1 with real pullups.
mary_l_turner

Postby mary_l_turner » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:55 am

L1/D3: 5 minutes, 2 seconds.

Mary did much better this week and improved her time. She completed 2 real pullups, and 8 complete chinups. Her pushups are improving and squats are perfect. She will continue with Level 1 until she gets all 10 pullups.
mary_l_turner

Postby mary_l_turner » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:17 pm

L1/D1: 32 rounds

Mary had an excellent day. She completed 9 narrow grip pullups before switching to chinups. Almost all of her pullups and chinups were good form, with just a few that had some kipping.

Pushups and squats were all with good form.
mary_l_turner

Postby mary_l_turner » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 pm

L1/D2: 49, 48, 43, 50, 45, for a total of 3 minutes, 55 seconds.

Mary completed her first 4 rounds with real pullups. The last one she had to switch to chinups. Her time was much improved over last week. She's getting there faster than I thought. I predict she can complete at least half of the pullups regulation style for D3.
mary_l_turner

Re: Mary's Log

Postby mary_l_turner » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:34 pm

From Monday: L1/D1: 32 rounds, 7 rounds with pullups, rest with chinups.

L1/D2 from today: 42, 43, 44, 42, 38, for 3 minutes 29 seconds.
mary_l_turner

Re:

Postby cheapo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:19 am

mary_l_turner wrote:Mary completed her first 4 rounds with real pullups. The last one she had to switch to chinups. Her time was much improved over last week. She's getting there faster than I thought. I predict she can complete at least half of the pullups regulation style for D3.

Excellent progress!
cheapo

Next

Return to workouts