Simplefit.org • View topic - Jefferson's Log

Jefferson's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Jefferson's Log

Postby Jefferson » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:10 am

Hi, new to the SimpleFit community and new to an exercise program in general. I found my way here from the forums at Marks Daily Apple. Thanks for the heads up Cheapo!

My wife, known as KimboSlice, also started an account and will probably log her progress later.

Week 1
August 9, 2010
L1D1: 21 rounds, doing jumping pullups.

I plan on staying at Level 1 or maybe 2 until I can successfully complete a true pullup. I'm sore right now, but it's the kind of sore that tells you you've done something. This evening we will be doing L1D2, so expect a log from that soon.

Thanks for reading!
Jefferson

Re: Jefferson's Log

Postby Ruli » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:54 am

hi jefferson and welcome to SF. i trust you will enjoy the program and that you will see / feel the rewards pretty soon!
Ruli

Postby Jefferson » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Well, I was almost certain that I logged my progress the other day. It doesn't seem to be there today, however. Oh well, I'll just do it again.

For Wednesday August:

L1D2

Round 1: 53.6 seconds
R2: 59.9
R3: 1:01.1
R4: 52.3
R5: 1:18.0

Total: 5:08

I'm not sure if that's good or bad for a first try, but I'll take it and run with it. Hopefully I'll beat it next week.

Note on pull ups: This round was done using jumping pull ups with a slow negative at the end (or as slow as I could make it, anyway). I'm hoisting 220 pounds in the air and I don't have much upper body strength yet.
Jefferson

Postby Ruli » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:14 pm

5:08 is not a bad time for a 1st D2 jefferson. you will be surprised as to how much your time improves as you get more and more into SF.
Ruli

Postby Jefferson » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:25 pm

Friday August 13, 2010

Today is my birthday!

I didn't let that keep me from my Simplefit though.

L1D3
Total time: 3:29.7

While this is definitely under the 5 minute mark and it might seem like I should move on to L2, I still can't do an actual pull up. This week was a mix of mostly jumping pull ups with a few inverted rows. I'll stay with level one for a couple more weeks at least. I have no idea how long it might take to get to true pull ups, but I'm looking forward to meeting that goal!

Thank you for the kind welcome and encouragement, Ruli.
Jefferson

Postby Jefferson » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Ok, catching up on my log for the week:

Monday - August 16, 2010

L1D1 Total: 30 sets

I was pretty pleased with my results. I pushed hard at the end to get in those last couple of sets, just to break the 30 mark. That's a pretty good improvement over 21 from last week, and it included a 2:00 break because we had to walk back home from the park in the middle of it. A bunch of rowdy teenagers showed up which made me a bit uncomfortable. I had to head home to use my own gym set up.
Jefferson

Postby Jefferson » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Wednesday - August 18, 2009

I didn't take the time to record each set this time around, but my total time was:

L1D2
Total Time: 3:59

That's also a good improvement over last week. It's amazing to already see results. It makes me anxious to see where I'll be in six weeks or six months. I'm really looking forward to getting that first, true pull up or chin up! I can already feel a difference in my ability to lift myself. This is a great program.
Last edited by Jefferson on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jefferson

Postby Jefferson » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Friday - August 20, 2010

L1D3

Total Time: 2:35

A pretty good improvement over last week's time. I am still doing jumping pull ups. I can feel myself edging closer to that first real one. I can't wait. I'll probably stick with level one for at least another week or two. I'm a teacher and school starts on Monday, so I'll have to really buckle down and make sure I don't let my simple fit or my logging of my progress fall by the way side.
Jefferson

Postby Neilfenstein » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:04 am

Hey doing good there!

Just a question, are you doing 3 jump pull ups for each pull up?

You may get slower results but faster gains!

If you are doing 3 kudos! Your fast lol!
Neilfenstein

Postby Jefferson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi Neil, no I haven't been doing three jumping pull ups per actual pull up. I looked back over the instructions and saw that was in there. I must have missed it!

I'll go ahead and log my time for this week so far, but I'll start on Friday doing three jumping pull ups. Thanks so much for pointing this out to me!
Jefferson

Postby Jefferson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:58 pm

In spite of school beginning, I stuck with the plan. Monday I was so tired I couldn't see straight, but I got that workout in. Here is:

Monday August 23, 2010
L1D1
Week #3

Total sets: 31
Jefferson

Postby Jefferson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Wednesday August 25, 2010
L1D2
Week #3

Total time: 3:29

I'm still doing jumping pull ups. I did not realize until Neil pointed it out above that I need to be doing three of these jumpers to equal one regular pull up. I want to do this right to get the best gains possible, so I'll be changing to 3 = 1 starting Friday. Expect a slow down in my time, I'm sure. Thanks again Neil!
Jefferson

Postby Neilfenstein » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:58 am

Yeah sorry didn't want to knock you spirit. I did the same thing at first thinking that it was fairly easy.

You will benefit from more pull ups in the ratio and hopefully you will find that helps you to progress to full pull ups.

I myself tried a few differing pull up substitutions sticking in the end with negatives and body rows. I progressed my body rows using rings on my pull up bar like these lowering until I got horizontal basically on the floor. I kept on with these for a while until I could do pull ups on D2 and D3. eventually leveling up. Even after leveling up I stuck with horizontal body rows on D1 for a while to reduce impact on my elbows but with time I moved over to all pull ups.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do. But, why not stick with the way you are until next week, at least you will see what your Friday progression is compared to last week. Progress is the one thing that keeps me going on this when I struggle it is so important to the program.

You can then start fresh on Day 1 next week!

Again Good luck!
Neilfenstein

Postby Jefferson » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Thanks for all the great advice Neil. I'll definitely have to look into some rings for my pull up bar.

Unfortunately, I didn't check out this thread before doing my L1D3 workout. I did, however, complete it doing three jumping negatives to one pull up. In other words, I did 30 negatives. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done that three weeks ago. I was having pain in my left elbow when I began, which is now gone, and I feel a lot more control as I lower myself down. I definitely think my performance is improving.

Friday August 27, 2010
L1D3
Total Time: 9:11

This time is quite a bit more than my last D3, but that's to be expected since I tripled the amount of negative pull ups. My time might have been a bit better, but my wife was doing her sets also, and we only have the one pull up bar. Perhaps we need to look into a second one...

Thanks again, Neil.
Jefferson

Postby Jefferson » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:44 pm

Posting this one a couple of days behind:

Monday August 30, 2010
L1D1

Total number of sets: 17

The drop is not surprising since I'm now doing three times the pull ups. There's no way I could have done 51 pull ups of any kind before starting this program. I'm definitely seeing a difference.

*edited to fix the date
Last edited by Jefferson on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefferson

Next

Return to workouts