Simplefit.org • View topic - Benhamine's Log

Benhamine's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Re: Benhamine's Log

Postby Benhamine » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 pm

C25K: 2.72 mi at Week 4 timing

Still felt like I could've done more. May try week 5 on Saturday, may do week 4 again. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

-Benhamine

Edit: Going to start posting these in Km as I am working towards a 5k run. Today's was 4.38 km, so I'm getting close!
Benhamine

Postby moizkader » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:14 am

Totally agree on the negs. I introduced them this week and it is much harder. Still feels like a long way to go till I can do a full pull up on my own!
moizkader

WEEK 4 COMPLETE

Postby Benhamine » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Definitely feel you there Moiz.

L1D3: 7:03

WEEK 4:
L1D1: 22 ROUNDS
L1D2: 10:50
L1D3: 7:03

Well I've been officially working out and eating healthy for a month as of yesterday. I've lost about 10 pounds, I feel better about myself, and I've still got plenty of goals I want to accomplish! I'm still really excited and enjoying all of this. This is the longest I've ever been able to maintain physical activity as well as a healthy diet and a huge part of it is the community here. I'm so happy to have found you guys and the people over at /r/fitness on reddit. I'm on my way to making this a life changing experience.

Again, thanks all!

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby Benhamine » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:06 am

C25K: 3.72 km at Week 5 times

While my overall distance dropped I ran my fastest mile at 11:29. Not particularly fantastic but it's a PR according to Nike+. I think I may stick with week 5 for now. We'll see how I feel after Tuesday's run to determine if I should go to week 6 yet. Tomorrow's a rest day and I'm looking forward to just sitting on my ass all day :D

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Week 5

Postby Benhamine » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:30 pm

Week 5:

L1D1: 22 Rounds

No improvement. Tired as hell. Wish I could've done more. Hopefully I can get a better time Wednesday. We shall see!

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby Benhamine » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:03 pm

C25K 3.91km at Week 5 Pace

Definitely could've gone longer. Moving up to Week 6 Thursday.

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby Benhamine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:04 pm

L1D2: 15:40

Time suffered drastically but right now my philosophy is "Fuck the time, I need to work on form." I'm trying to go as slow as my muscles will allow me on the negs, as low to the ground without touching it on my push-ups, and squats with my hands behind my head. I'm not seeing really any gains in my pull-up negs so I need to change something. I figured spend a couple of weeks just focusing as hard as I can with doing the form right and then start focusing on caring about my times. This isn't an overnight thing so I need to not try to rush things. As much as I'd like to just go out there and kill my times and rounds I know it doesn't mean jack shit if my forms off and I'm not gaining any muscle/strength. I'm a little tired but I think I'm going to try to get 10 more negs in before I hit the showers. I really want to get to where I can do 1 real pull-up.

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby moizkader » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:38 pm

I know exactly how you feel and it's really frustrating. I can feel my push ups improving but feel like the pull ups are going nowhere. I just think we have to be patient and maybe listen to our bodies a little. Maybe we *do* need to rest between sessions a little longer, give out muscles time to rest, recover and grow. I'm not sure. But I think you're doing the right thing, we are not in this to beat times, we are in this to improve our long term health.
moizkader

Postby KTG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:37 am

I agree that patience and good form are key. Nothing slows the progress or kills the motivation like an injury.

Another incremental thing to do with the negs is to pause half-way down and hold for a second. Or go down a little bit and then back up.

You've got to find the motivation in the small improvements and the promise of long-run change. There are no short-cuts. Keep up the great work!
KTG

Postby Benhamine » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks for the words guys. I know that I'm doing this for the health and between simple fit and my dietary changes I can already see huge differences in my appearance, attitude, and energy. It's incredibly satisfying and I'm so happy for the progress that I've made. I just REALLY want to be able to do a pull-up lol. I know it will come and I'm not getting discouraged I just realize that what I've been doing isn't working, so I'm making small changes to try to help it along.

C25K 4.17km at Week 6 Day 1 time

I just realized that the times have started to change from day 1 to day 2 to day 3 each week. Luckily I've been using an app that does the times for me lol. I was going to do Week 5 day 3 upon this realization but 20 min straight is what I was doing before I started the program so I figured since I felt good on Day 2 and know I can do 20 min straight, I'd try Week 6 day 1. In any case, today felt good. I didn't listen to music while I was running so I was able to focus on my running more. My distance was more than last weeks (probably because there's about 3 min more of running involved lol).

Going to do my Day 3 of simple fit tomorrow during lunch and when I get home I'm going to try to do some more negs or possibly some body rows with my dining room table (depends how hard those rows are I assume).

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby Benhamine » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:58 pm

Well rows on the dining room table aren't going to work. Just tried to do one to see if I could and the table's not stable enough to not flip if I were to actually do one. Looks like Negs all the way tomorrow!

-Benhamine
Benhamine

WEEK 5 COMPLETE

Postby Benhamine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:46 am

L1D3 12:32 {Negs rested between each one, push-ups (7, 5, 5, 4), squats (11, 10)}

Still working on form over speed. I feel like my form is improving. I'm able to go slower for longer so that's good. I tried the go half down, stop for a sec, then go the rest. Wow, does that add to the difficulty. I had to stop doing that after about 5 or 6 negs and just go to straight negs. I think that's a good way to add some resistance though and I think I'm going to try to do as many like that as I can each time. Off to the showers and hopefully tonight when I get home from work I can do some more. I have the whole weekend for my upper-body to recover so I'm thinking on Friday's I can hit it as hard as possible. We shall see how this plan goes.

-Benhamine

Week 5:
L1D1: 22 rounds
L1D2: 15:40
L1D3: 12:32
Benhamine

Postby Benhamine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:56 pm

2nd lesser workout of the day: 21 Negs (rested for a sec between each), 14 push-ups (7, 7)

Tomorrow is a run day and I'm probably going to do some light yoga Sunday for flexibility. Something to do on those off days for both C25K and SimpleFit.

-Benhamine
Benhamine

Postby robbiew » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:26 pm

When I first started Simplefit I never thought I'd ever do a pullup so I did negatives as most people suggested. They didn't work for me...I just suffered loads of discomfort in my biceps. I concentrated solely on horizontal pullups which eventually paid off for me. The biggest mistake I made was rushing to move up to the next level before I was really ready. All I achieved was shoulder pain and what I thought was terminal tennis elbow! Perfecting your form is more important than moving up asap...it aint a race! I hope take my own advice this time around!
robbiew

Postby Benhamine » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:57 am

C25K 2.74km at Week 6 Day 2 times (failed to complete: stopped with 5 min of jogging left)

It was raining out today and I had to do the treadmill. I don't know if it was the lack of being outside or the steady pace being kept by the machine but I couldn't push myself any further. Looks like Tuesday will be W6D2 again.

-Benhamine
Benhamine

PreviousNext

Return to workouts