Simplefit.org • View topic - Wroth's (Bob) Log

Wroth's (Bob) Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Postby wroth » Wed May 16, 2007 8:17 pm

Wed, May 16, 2007 - Stage 2, Day 3: 6m52s (I think, I accidentally reset it before marking it down)
- Got 2 fully unnassisted pullups! Sweet deal! Rest were little jumpers off a chair to the pullup. Lots of resistance on the downwards path as usual.

- I'm still looking like I'll be staying at Stage 2 for another cycle. Thing I'm thinking is using my 20# weight vest for this cycle through - make me lift 250# instead of 230#. Good idea or hold off?
wroth

Postby Admin » Wed May 16, 2007 8:40 pm

I would hold off on the vest
Admin
Site Admin

Postby samjackson » Thu May 17, 2007 7:40 am

IMO you should hold off on the vest until you can do 12 or more unassisted pull-ups. Its when the pull-ups become easy that you should add additional weight. Just my $0.02.
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby wroth » Thu May 17, 2007 3:59 pm

Alright, cool. What about for the pushups and the squats that I have no problems with? Or no vest across the board?
wroth

Postby Admin » Thu May 17, 2007 4:48 pm

If you want the vest go for it.

other options

for push ups = hand stand push ups, dips, incline push ups (feet as high as shoulders in start position), one arm push ups, or just try putting your hands really close together.

Squats = one legged squats, lunges, box jumps, or squat with dumbbells.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wroth » Fri May 18, 2007 5:27 am

Ah, perfect. I guess I was just wanting to mix it up. I'll try out some of those variations this cycle. Thanks!
wroth

Postby wroth » Fri May 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Fri, May 18, 2007 - Stage 2, Day 1: 23 reps
- Did the first 15 sets of pushups from an incline.
- Going to try to build a stable box to do the jumps onto. I'm thinking some form of rubber matting on the underside and topside to prevent slipping. My shed that I workout in has a smooth cement floor, so I don't want it kicking out from underneath me while I'm jumping. I'm going to build it at probably 20".

- Going to be getting a training partner soon! My best friend is moving up to my town (into my basement suite) for work over the summer, so he'll be joining me in workouts.

- Thinking of adding some sort of sprint training to the start/end (alternating) of the workout. Either a timed interval or a set number of splits for time of a sprint/walk/sprint/walk/etc up and down my driveway - about 80m with a slight incline (thinking sprint up, walk down or vice-versa). I play a lot of sports that require me to have endurance but also the ability to instantly "turn and burn" - soccer, rugby, football, softball. I need to build up the a) endurance mentality and b) the sprint power for those times when I know I need it late in a game. I think this might really help me in that area. Sound like a plan?
wroth

Postby wroth » Mon May 21, 2007 8:29 am

Sun, May 21, 2007 - Stage 2, Day 2: 5:07m (removed the 8m of rest)

Buddy just started too, did the same workout with me: 3:54m for him. Goin to be nice to have a challenger each time.
wroth

Postby wroth » Tue May 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Tue, May 23, 2007 - Stage 2, Day 3: 5m32
- Improved almost 1m15 on the last time I did this workout! Sweet!
- Feeling a lot more power during the pullups, even though I can still only do 2 unnassited. The downwards path I started pulling my legs up to prevent me from just relaxing/dropping through the drop. Now I have to control or else I yank myself off the bar and hit the cement unprepared.
- All pushups were on the incline - only had to pause twice: once at 13, once at 21.

- Basically feeling really good now, especially now that I'll have a workout partner most nights to keep me driving. His comment to me on my way out tonight was "Try and beat my time". Grrrrr :twisted:
wroth

Postby Admin » Tue May 22, 2007 9:40 pm

Nice work!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby samjackson » Wed May 23, 2007 6:23 am

wroth wrote:Going to try to build a stable box to do the jumps onto. I'm thinking some form of rubber matting on the underside and topside to prevent slipping. My shed that I workout in has a smooth cement floor, so I don't want it kicking out from underneath me while I'm jumping. I'm going to build it at probably 20".

If you can afford them, try to find some rubber stable mats to laydown over the concrete. You can get 4X8' mats for about $50. They make for a great surface to workout on. Much better than concrete.
samjackson
Advanced Member

Postby wroth » Fri May 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Friday, May 25, 2007 - Stage 2, Day 1: 31 sets
- Sweet! Got 9 unassisted pullups! Not only that, but on the downward motion, I'm able to just sit dead with my arms at 90' or even higher. Full power through the whole down motion too. I'm lovin' it!
- Closing in on the 30s/set. I had 10 sets in just over 5m, and 20 at 13 minutes. Actually increased my pace on the third set of ten from the second. Good sign.
- Challenged my buddy to match that for tomorrow. I think he might manage it, because he's able to do way more unassisted pullups, so his pace isn't slowed by the 3x pullups in later sets.
- Used jump squats for the last about 8 sets. Actually felt very nice, kinda worked out the soreness in my legs. But now that I'm sitting, it's back :P

- Also played about 85m of soccer tonight. Quick team made up of small little cheap-shot artists, so I had a fun night chasing them and then not getting calls made when they'd punch me in the head or put me into a headlock (at 6'5, it takes determined effort for a man who is 5'8 to put me into a headlock... and still no call)
wroth

Postby wroth » Mon May 28, 2007 9:00 am

Sun, May 27, 2007 - Stage 2, Day 2: 4m50s
- Pretty decent, wasn't too difficult now, just was shear time of required reps that took up too much time.

- Of course, my buddy goes and does the Day 1 and kicks my butt - 42 sets. Ouch. Oh well, competition does wonders for performance.
wroth

Postby wroth » Tue May 29, 2007 7:57 pm

Tues, May 27, 2007 - Stage 2, Day 3: 3m40s
- Managed 3 "semi-kips". Still tough to get the rhythm, but I'm getting better. Followed with a set of 2 semi-kips too. Last 8 pullups were 3x assists. Arms were done at the end of it.
- Incline pushups with only 1 stop. Just about cost me my face on the 26th rep.
- Squats were the only part that was easy, lol. I can live with that, especially seeing that my legs are still burning now.

- Also went for a 2km run immediately prior, finished in 11m. Not a great pace, but been a while since I've done a straight-up run.

- Moving to Stage 3 on Friday. Stopping until after my soccer game on Friday night so that I don't really lose a step on the forwards that I'm supposed to be keeping a lid on all night :P

- Friend did this with me: 2m20s. Killed me! Gah!
wroth

Postby ucffool » Wed May 30, 2007 7:34 pm

kipping? semi-kipping? I'm ignorant on that... what does that mean? Grats btw.
ucffool

PreviousNext

Return to workouts