Simplefit.org • View topic - Trying to understand the workouts

Trying to understand the workouts

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Trying to understand the workouts

Postby Willy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm not clear on the instructions. For example, Level 1, Day 1, instructs one to do the exercises for 20 minutes. What if you run out of steam (particularly on the pull ups) before the 20 minutes are out, but not the other two exercises? Do you do do modified pull ups and keep on going? Or do you call it quits before the 20 minutes?

Similarly, day 3: do you stop when you can no longer do one particular one of the exercises?
Willy

Re: Trying to understand the workouts

Postby invisiblejk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:54 pm

Whether to do modified pull ups or keep it going is a personal decision. Since I always do pull up substitute, this is not an option for me. I usually increase the rest period between sets on D1. For example, I started with 18 rds in 20 minutes on L1D1 and eventually increased it to 20+ rds before I graduated to L2. Right now, I am doing 30 rds of L4D1.

Same idea on D3. I do 17 pushups in the first set take a 30 second break and do a 5 pushup set take a 30 second break etc. I will finish all the pushups asked for, some times taking 30 second break for two pushups :). I am taking 7 min and 36 seconds to complete L4D3. I have many more weeks to go before I can get it under 5 mins. Every week I target to increase the number of pushups in the first set or reduce the rest time between the sets. Every week I aim for about 3% improvement.
invisiblejk
Advanced Member

Postby Satttboombatty » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:01 pm

Willy,
I use modifications now all the time and see nice results. Especially with pull-ups, doing anything any way is better then stopping. Day 1 is for endurance training, so you want to feel some fatigue and have your heart racing. Even just doing modified pull-ups (or how I do it, switching to modified pull-ups when my form becomes crap) will get your muscles working. Do as much as you can for those 20 minutes, but definitely try to do 20 minutes. Take little breaks, get into a rhythm, but just keep with it. Day 1 is for me the hardest, but most rewarding.
For day 3, it's all about personal time, so just keep doing pull-ups until you complete the goal number, then move onto the pushups, then when complete, move onto squats. You don't stop, but you can definitely take breaks. However you count your breaks. When you can do all of the exercises in order in under 5 minutes, you know you're ready to move onto the next level.
Good luck.
Satttboombatty

Postby sharp21 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:00 pm

I think you'll be surprised at how many times you can do one pullup!
S.
sharp21

Postby Willy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks, all, for the information. I think I finally get it. I completed my first week at level 2, and I was able to do the 13 pull ups (well, chin ups) with just a bit of rest between. I ended up 5:37 or so, so I'm still at level 2 for this week.
Willy

Postby daound » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:43 am

Hmm..
I think it totally depends on which you want to carry on either modified pull ups or running.. But i suggest you to keep rotating this thing on.. it would increase your stamina and wants to lose weight.Or you should use weight loss drops for quick and safe results.
Last edited by daound on Fri May 30, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
daound

Postby ps824 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:56 pm

daound wrote:
> Hmm..
> I think it totally depends on which you want to carry on either modified
> pull ups or running.. But i suggest you to keep rotating this thing on..
> it would increase your stamina
If you are rotating, it increases the muscle confusion which results in better workouts. Have you attempted to rotate?
ps824

Return to workouts