Simplefit.org • View topic - Regarding later levels and technique

Regarding later levels and technique

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Regarding later levels and technique

Postby ds2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:59 am

I've been doing various calisthenics activities for a while, and i just found SimpleFit which is pretty much what i've already had in my workout routine - only SF is performed in circuit style where i've been doing the classic 3x set-based workouts.

I'm a little confused about the later levels though, i started at level 1 to see where i would land, and at 30+ rounds plus the third day in under 3 minutes has me thinking i'll move up a little. However, if i'm always supposed to complete the third day workout in under 5 minutes in order to "level up" my math says i'm going to have to sacrifice form and technique in favor of speed at around level 4 or 5. I simply cannot see how it would be possible to perform 26 pullups, 51 pushups and 51 squats with GOOD technique, in GOOD form, in under 5 minutes even for a very fit person.

I absolutely detest swinging pullups where you use the momentum of your lower body to crank another rep, and i always do pushups slow and steady with 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down. This means 4 seconds per rep. Same for squats, especially if i'm doing them with added weight or practicing for pistol squats.

How does this 5 minute logic work at higher levels while maintaining good form? Anybody been there?
ds2

Re: Regarding later levels and technique

Postby chongtxtx » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:50 pm

So I am still a novice at simplefit so take my info with a grain of salt. I believe you will have to sacrifice perfect form if you want to get to the last stage and beyond. I thought I read somewhere a while back where cheapo recommended the only day you use absolute strict form was on the middle day, so I pretty much do that. I come from a crossfit background where kipping is taught/nurtured so this kind works for me. Since I dont use simplefit for a strictly strength workout I dont mind my sacrificing form a little bit. But my middle days are always super strict and I am still making gains so its not a bad tradeoff. So that is what I do, when I pass level 8 there are a couple of different pushups that o want to throw into the mix which will require that I use strict form for every rep so back to level 1 for me. Anyways I am rambling I hope this helped somewhat. Have a great day.
chongtxtx
Advanced Member

Postby ds2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:27 pm

I see, thanks for the reply. No doubt it works for a lot of people, however with my lower back history i don't have any room for rapid reps like that, i need to do everything perfect or i'll risk another six months of recovery. :mrgreen: I actually injured my lower back while doing L-hangs from a bar. That's how miserably tight my hips and hamstrings were/still are, even though i'm doing daily stretching exercises for them. Just the thought of a kipping pullup makes me hurt. The first 20 minute day provides no such rush so i can take my time to keep the form and count the rounds, they're always comparable anyway. The same goes for the second day, i've been doing it set-based without timing the results because with good form the time it takes is always the same, so there's no point in timing them.

I suppose i could use the third day as a general measure without the time limit, if i can pull off the reps without taking a break, i'll be ready to move on.
ds2

Postby chongtxtx » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Got ya man whatever gets you working out is obviously right for you. I hope you keep making the gainz without any of the pain. Have a great day.
chongtxtx
Advanced Member

Return to workouts