Simplefit.org • View topic - Maleficarum's Log

Maleficarum's Log

body weight exercises

Moderator: cheapo

Maleficarum's Log

Postby Maleficarum » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:37 am

Ok...

I ran 1/2 mile to the school on Mission as a warm up. No rush... i wasn't worried about time or pace. When i finished... i did a 1/2 mile jog home.

At Mission Street School i managed to do 12 rounds of:

* 3 body rows (sub for 1 pull-up)
* 2 push-ups
* 3 squats

12 rounds is a piss poor first performance. Obviously... i am going to have to work on this. Hahaha. I was supposed to do max rounds in 20 minutes... i managed 8 minutes before my arms felt like jell-o and i could not perform a successful body row. Strangely... i could still do push-ups. Obviously... this works different muscle groups. Obviously... i will be repeating week 1 of Simplefit.org at least once.
Maleficarum

Postby ucffool » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:46 am

If you are just getting into it, I recommend doing 1:1 subs till you can do all 20 minutes, then 2:1 the next week, and finally 3:1 the 3rd week. This gives your body time to adjust to the new exercises.
ucffool

Postby taifun » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:47 am

Listen to Andy :!:

Oh, and nice to have you with us!
taifun

Re: Maleficarum's Log

Postby volleyball_man » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:48 am

Maleficarum wrote:12 rounds is a piss poor first performance.

Welcome!

Don't judge yourself. I tend to go a little lower on D1 workouts and seem to be ok with the D2 and D3 workouts. Kevin - the creator and "guru" (sorry Kevin) of this workout gave me the mantra "Strength Before Strength Endurance." Doing proper form and staying BELOW rep failure is a good early goal and should be one we all try to keep.

Read any of our workout logs - pick those of us who started on L1 and have several pages of posts. Let them be an inspiration.

Good start!
volleyball_man

Postby Maleficarum » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanks for the advice.

ive been working on my push-ups for a while... and been trying dead hangs... basically just hanging for time... but i started with rows in order to try something different.

i think subbing 1:1 is an excellent idea. i had no trouble with push-ups... in fact i was tempted to just finish the 20 minutes with push-ups and squats... but i realized part of the focus of this exercise is muscle balance.
Maleficarum

Week 1, Day 2

Postby Maleficarum » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:09 am

2 min, 45 seconds. This is an approximation because i forgot my stopwatch and had to use my ipod.

however... this seems like a huge departure from only being able to complete 12 sets on day 1.

Subbing 1:1 body rows for pull-ups did allow me to finish... and i cannot believe how much my shoulders ached yesterday.

I am enjoying this. I am mixing my normal running routine with this... yesterday i ran an easy 5k. For me... that means a little over 33 minutes.
Maleficarum

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:26 am

Hey,

I didn't find any post indicating your build, age, condition, etc.

As I said before, I find D1 to be "lower" than D2 and D3 for me. I don't know if that (list above) has much to do with it. Probably more that we have decent strength, but not decent strength endurance. Have you included rest breaks? My numbers (really everything) improved when I did. Another possibility is that your warmup was too intense for D1...

Just some thoughts.

Keep it up!
volleyball_man

Postby Maleficarum » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:10 pm

volleyball_man wrote:Hey,

I didn't find any post indicating your build, age, condition, etc.

Lol. i didnt realize i had never posted any of my info. i have been lurking here for a few months but now that i am home with my daughter full time... i have more of an opportunity to get back in shape.

i am a big guy... currently 265 but no one has ever thought i looked that big. i carry a lot of muscle... but i am working on making that bulk actually useful. i am 28 and in pretty good shape. i have been jogging off and on for the past 10 years... i used to do about 30-40 miles a week... but in the past year i have gone down to about 12-15 miles... i was afraid of what all this extra weight was doing to my joints.

i would like to see myself at around 200 lbs... and be able to do a pull-up. Lol. My legs have always been strong... now i would like my upper body to catch up.
Maleficarum

Postby volleyball_man » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm

:)

I am similar - now at about 235. I gave up running for the reasons you mentioned. At 6'4 that's rough on the joints. I gotta tell ya - I miss it. I bike and until lately was a pretty avid swimmer.

I never thought a pullup would be possible for me. Especially not as quickly as they came. I think it was a matter of nerve training - finding the sleeping muscles that were just waiting to be used for something.

Here's to hoping you have the same situation.

At any rate - keep going. I know you will. And you will get a pullup.

Happy workout!
volleyball_man

Week 1, Day 1 Redux

Postby Maleficarum » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:02 am

Ok... so maybe this is not the normal method of starting the program... but i felt i could do better than the 12 rounds i did on Sunday.

I repeated Day 1 rather than do Day 3.

After my normal 1/2 mile run to the elementary school with parallel bars for body rows, i did the following...

30 rounds!
1 body row
2 push-ups
3 squats

I had just enough time for 1 last round, but the overwhelming feeling of impending vomiting kept me sane. I felt good... i dont feel over worked... i took my time.

Then i ran the 1/2 mile back home.

i am going to assume that the body rows are the limiting factor in these workouts for me. On Sunday i did 12 rounds, subbing 3:1 (36 body rows), while today i did 30 rounds, subbing 1:1 (30 body rows). Of course... i do believe this is a better workout... because i did 3x as many push-ups and squats... and completed the 20 minutes of the workout.
Maleficarum

Postby taifun » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:18 am

Of course it's the better workout in sum. However it does less work on the body rows, which are your weak spot. If you feel up to it afterwards, throw in a few extra body rows!?
taifun

Postby Maleficarum » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:21 am

Taifun... i intend to. Ive been doing anywhere from 40-80 push-ups a day for the past few months... so ive noticed a great deal of improvement there... i just found a great place for the body rows... but i dont have a good place in my apartment for those. I plan on working those as often as i can.
Maleficarum

Week 1, Day 1 (part II)

Postby Maleficarum » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:25 am

Ok. Second week of Simplefit. I am repeating week 1... this time i intend on completing it as RXed.

1/2 mile warm up run

2 body rows
2 push-ups
3 squats

26 rounds!

1/2 mile cool down run

I am happy to note that i did almost twice as many body rows this time around as last week... i am glad to see that i do have some muscles to work with... they just took a little training to learn to work properly.
Maleficarum

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:37 am

Great Job!
Admin
Site Admin

Postby volleyball_man » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:22 am

A lot of it is just wakin em up!

Good job!
volleyball_man

Next

Return to workouts